We've had a lot of questions and discussions about the right fuel tank "Problem", which, in my opinion scares people more than it should. We all have seen the placard, which tells you not to manuver with 1/3 or less in the tank, but most people, I think, jump to the conclusion that leaning the plane to the right will starve the engine because the fuel will have to travel "uphill"- since the plumbing goes lower from the right tank than the left. Imagine hanging the plane on a single cable from the hanger ceiling. Now, grab the right wing and pull it down until the wing is, say, 30 degrees angle with the floor. There's 3 gallons in the right wing. Now start the engine. It's not going to run long is it. But that's not what happens in flight. In flight, the fuel won't know it's leaning over, for the same reason that pilots get spacial disorientation. They think they're level, even though they are in a 30 degree bank. They aren't hanging from the ceiling. Anyway, you see my point.
The important thing is that "head pressure" is going to be less with less fuel. The reason that the placard is a good thing is, it forces a newcomer in the plane to ask- Why? This causes him to check out the systems, and that's always good. After all, if both tanks had 3 gallons of fuel, which would you choose? The one with a convoluted routing, or the one with a shorter, straighter shot at the carb.....My theory anyway.