WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Auto Fuel/Alcohol

Default Auto Fuel/Alcohol

Is alcohol in auto fuel now a national mandate? Also from a purely operational standpoint (experimental aircraft) what is the problem with alcohol? Is it a octane rating issue or alcohol/rubber material incompatibility.

Thanks
    Jim Miller

Hi Jim; I don't think it is a national mandate (yet). Here is a very knowledgeable site. http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_...ms_damage.html It answers many questions.

Homer
    Thanks I will check it out.

Jim

Homer
    I just saw a plane being certified in brazil with Lycoming 0540 to use E85 ethanol. Being flown at present in testing stage. Maybe that will help our case here someday when 100LL gets to 7-8/gal. (Probably next month)

Jim

Back about 7 years ago when we upgraded out C 205 to an IO 550 with a Texas Skyways STC, Jack Johnson (owner Texas Skyways) said they were working on an STC for E85 type fuel for the big block conversions they do down there. I have not heard much about it since so I don't know if he is still doing it or not.

Kchambers Guest

Hi All, it's been awhile since I checked in. I use mogas exclusively in my PA-22-150, and haven't found any alcohol since April of 2004 in Northern California or Northern Utah. I test each batch as per Peterson Aviation procedure. I just bought some gas in Las Vegas, tested it, and it had alcohol, so it's important to test each tankful you buy before you put it in your plane, although I'd like to replace all the alcohol sensitive parts in the fuel system just to be safe. For now, though, there's no problem finding mogas with no alcohol wherever I go.
    Kevin Chambers,
    Marysville, CA

Chazzman Guest

In eastern Washington it's getting hard to find gas without ethanol. I have been able to find it at a couple of stations but the last load I picked up at one of my honey holes contained ethanol. The pumps aren't always posted so you have to test it. I don't know of any remaining stations who are free of ethanol.