X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Jacobson
    Master Forumator
    • Nov 2005

The scary part of homebuilding

I just saw something scary on the wag-aero forum. I chap was looking to buy a fuselage someone else started. They widened the fuselage from the 2+2 plans and the potential buyer was asking opinions about the widening. As a casual mention, he said that the builder has BRAZED the fuselage joints and they sure looked pretty! Needless to say, there was a barrage of replies telling him to run away from the deal as fast as he could. AC 43.13 says to never braze anything structural. In fact, once it is brazed, you can not grind off the braze and then weld properly. The brazing compound seeps into the 4130 and essentially ruins it for a strong weld. This type of "experimental" work gives all us homebuilders a bad name.
  • Hillbilly
    Keyboard Burninator
    • Aug 2007

He should have used super glue...
    "Some people are like a Slinky, absolutely useless but you cant help but smile when you push them down the stairs."

Comment

• Curley
      Super Forumator
      • Dec 2005

And on the same site someone did not know what AC43.13 was!!!

I restored my first Tripacer in 1979 and the LAME who supervised the rebuild, insisted I buy a copy and refer to it frequently. 30 years later I still do.

It should be in the library of every restorer and particularly homebuilders.

Comment

• jay heil
        Master Forumator
        • Aug 2005

he said that the builder has BRAZED the fuselage joints and they sure looked pretty!

it could be that the potential buyer doesnt know what brazing is it seems [to me anyway] that the general public thinks all gas welding is brazing and that maybe the builder actually welded it and did a nice job??? we hope anyway

Comment

• Southern Aero

Yeeeeeeep!

Comment

Working...