WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: X-wing training ???

Default X-wing training ???

Has anyone had any experience with this device?

http://www.dandyercfi.com/xwindsim/

Is it a valuable training aid or just another toy?

I will be driving up through California and am considering taking a training session.
    How else could I try my hand at howling gusty crosswinds and not worry about breaking my plane. :-)

Thanks

Paul
    N1431A
    KPLU

HI,
    I've "flown" a few full motion sims and there is no doubt that they work, you can actually do your check ride in some/most.
    One place where I always thought they fell short was the ground taxiing and landing part as they just never felt real? Not sure how this sim would work for crosswinds, might give you a good visual on approach but as far as touch down and ground handling I have my doubts.
    Just my two cents worth.
    doug.

joewcasey Guest

I agree with Doug, the critical part of the x-wind landing is 10 feet above the ground, touchdown, and rollout, I don't know how this thing would simulate control in a flare. I'm of the opininon that the best training is doing. Not to mention, 250 bucks still buys quite a bit of fuel and even a couple hours with a good instructor. If you're worried about bending something, simple, set your limit and don't exceed it. Period. Once you're comfortable with your set limit, set a new one and stick with that.

I've been stuck down here in San Diego renovating a rental house for over 4 months with my plane 1300 miles north. Since I'll be driving back when we're done, I thought it might be worth a detour if it's a viable training aid. Doing dual when there are actual cross winds is tough to schedule.

If, and that's a big if, it is indeed a realistic simulator, two hours of intensive training in strong gusty x-winds would be worth the bucks in my opinion.

As soon as I can take a break from painting and hammering I'm hoping to do some dual in a PA-22 thanks to the generosity of a fellow Shortwinger here in San Diego.

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A
    KPLU

I say if you want to do it, go ahead. Its your money, it might be fun and it sure as heck ain't gonna make you a worse pilot... - Hillbilly
    "Some people are like a Slinky, absolutely useless but you cant help but smile when you push them down the stairs."