WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Bushmaster

8433D Guest

Default Bushmaster

Has anybody used this STC to rebuild their airplane? How complicated is the modification, is the performance worth the price and time to build, and are parts easy to find such as lift struts?

Default bushmaster

im not positive if you can even do it yourself that is i think there may be 3 different stc's for this type of mod theres one up in alaska he wont let you do it yourself i think that ones a producer then theres one out in washington i m not sure if they let you do it either but there is one other guy maybe he will let you do it if his stc is still valid or maybe he sold it to someone go here and do some reading
    http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewt...ght=bushmaster
    it tells you to also do a search for "producer "
    actually go to this page theres several posts on producers and bushmasters take you all day to read it all lol and you should find plenty of contact info http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/searc...abb6eeddc9960b
    Last edited by jay heil; 01-01-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by 8433D
    Has anybody used this STC to rebuild their airplane? How complicated is the modification, is the performance worth the price and time to build, and are parts easy to find such as lift struts?
    If you are real serious about this, I can get you a name of the guy here in Washington that has done a couple of them. I seen one take off from felts field last Monday, nice plane but you are right when you say is it worth it. Might as well just buy a heleio currier and be done with it. Probably a lot less expensive too.
    Tom

Mike Butterfield at 509-969-3701 has the Bushmaster STC and Steve Bryant in AK has the Producer. You can contact Steve as Airwrench on this site http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/membe...=ASC&start=100

Both are mods they do. I have tried to buy the STC so I could modify my own aircraft but to no avail. When I get to it I will go experimental.

8433D Guest

I talked with Mike and he gave me the number to the owner of the STC,who would sell the paperwork. I was just looking to see if anybody has built one and get the basic info on doing the conv.

They will sell the paperwork? If so how much? Mark Erickson of Dakota Cub built an expeimental version that looks awesome and he says it is like a 4 place Super Cub. http://www.dakotacub.com/new_page_27.htm

Stephen 998 Guest

Steve,

I have wondered about this Bushmaster since I first saw one a few years back at Arlington. My first thought is that it will take a bigger engine to get the performance of a Supercub. Which apparently is true. So, what exactly is the advantage?? I have gone to Supercub fly-in's and compared my Pacer/Clipper - 150hp with a climb prop and I can get off the ground, climb and land very close to the supercub. I cruise faster. For an example last summer flying with three Supercub friends. We took off from 5000 feet high strip and did a max climb to an 8500 foot pass. I took off last and beat them to the pass and cleared with feet to spare. And, of course we carry a lot more than the supercubs (such as extra coolers of beer).

Now, if this mod is interesting because you like to try new ideas and like projects, I can understand. I'm not sure that you can get a better airplane out of this mod.

Did you see Roger Rupp's Rupp-e-Racer is the SWPN?? Wow, that looks interesting, Cessna 180 landing gear and RV-6 cowl, now that is wild and a sacrilege.

Speed is not everything. I have some Super Cub time along with a lot of Clipper time and can get a Super Cub into some places I would never attempt to get my Clipper. I think a wide Super Cub would serve many purposes for me since I now have a family. The reality is however that I will probably finish my Clipper project and then my Super Cub and then fly instead of rebuild.

Check out this video of what some can do with a Super Cub.
    http://www.akbushwheel.com/BushwheelMovie.html

Stephen 998 Guest

Great video, I certainly agree with you about speed. I'm always on the look out for short field performance improvement. I occasionaly fly a Supercub with 36 inch Bushwheels, which is great fun landing on rough fields. I was curious about Rudd's designif it added large tires (It would look the Sportman 2+2).

In the Bushmaster modification it seems to me that once you add length to both the wings and fuselage of a PA22 frame, then you need to up hp to get performance. Now, with the increased weight, I question if it will perform like a Supercub or even as well as a 150 hp Clipper.

You must be flying with Doug. He is the only one I know using the 35" BWs. Has he got his wings done with the Husky flaps yet. He flies with Greg and Lonnie who were in the video.

I guess you could shave weight off other parts or go with the O-360 or up the HP on the O-320. Flow matching cylinders, high compression pistons, performance exhaust etc. All it takes is time and money. I just can't gat both at the same time.

Heck, with 35" tires you could probably keep the stock O-320, fill the tires with helium and float off the ground in 15 ft. They would truly be "Balloon" tires and may even contribute to a lighter airplane!
    Ben V.

Stephen 998 Guest

You need a motor to spin the tires before landing on payment to over come the inertia of the large tires. Landing a Supercub with these tires is fun, you get a noticable forward pitch.

8433D Guest

Steve the paperwork was $1,000, Bill is the guy to talk to (250-545-9485) or info@bushmastermfg.com. I taked a little with him about it, but was just looking to see if anybody on the site had done one before to get some more info before I start on one.

Bill emailed me the info. 16 drawings and the STC for the o-360 which is optional. Good deal in my book. I would try and talk to Mark Eriksonat Dakota Cub if you can. He used to be talkitive but has gotten a lot busier.

8433D Guest

Steve do you plane on bulding one for your self or do you need a guinea pig?

I dream of building one for myself but the reality is my Clipper is going very slow and I have a Super Cub of my own to do after that. I would be interested in doing one for a customer but my project load is pretty full for a while.

Paul S Guest

Steve,
    Can you tell me what modifications are included in the Bushmaster STC?
    Have you completed a bushmaster conversion in the past?
    If so, is there anything that you would do differently?
    I have a 1957 PA-22-150 that I would like to convert to a float plane. I do not want to reinvent the wheel, but I would like to make as many improvements as possible. I believe that the bushmaster STC is the way to go, but I have not spent the money yet.
    Thanks for your help.

Stephen 998 Guest

Since, I didn't see a reply I'll give it a try. Basically, the Bushmaster mod is a wing and fuselage extension, making the Pacer into a four place Supercub or a Maule. The Bushmaster mod that I saw at Arlington a couple of years ago was very expensive and underpowered at 150 hp.

halestorm Guest

You know, I'm still having a lot of trouble with this thing. I love the idea of it on the surface, but I can't believe you can buy some paperwork from some Candians that will allow to hack the tail off a Tripe, weld in some longeron extensions, reattach the tail and still have a legit, American, type certified airplane when your done.

Not to mention the modified cub wing, the left hand door, the extended landing gear, the dual control sticks, PA-18 sized tail surfaces...need I go on?

It seems like experimental is the only way all thisis going to happen. That being said, an injected 360 Lyc or Cont with constant speed prop would be the only way to go. 210 horse for takeoff and then pull the power and prop back for cruise with less fuel burn than a carburated 360. Would make onbe heck of a float plane for lot less than a C180/185.

-sam

it would no doubt make a great airplane !! there is a guy building one just like you described in wilmar minnesota i have been told right down to the IO 360 continental but do you really think its going to cost less than a C 180? how much is that engine and prop going to cost? everyone of them needs a new crank there all Ad'd probably needs a new prop that engine and prop alone is going to put you back 35 grand for sure by the time you get it ready to install plus your airplane purchase tripacer firewall back? 10-15 grand now you got to by some stc's and stretch it and recover it maybe have to buy some pa 18 wings and struts ?15-20 grand by the time theyre ready to put on all your covering supplies 5 grand maybe an interior and some radios another 5 grand pa 18 tailfeathers 2 grand thats already 77000 plus your or someone else's labor me thinks you can buy that C-180 pretty close to that heck i dont know i think a pacer is pretty nice just the way it is!!! maybe you can build , trade and barter alot of the stuff to get the expense down but yes it would be very nice machine when your done

Stephen 998 Guest

I agree jay. Trying to make a Maule out of a Pacer would not be cheap and you still have the tight cockpit of the PA-22. I fly my Pacer againt the local Supercub's on a regular basis. Sure, they get off a few feet sooner that I do ( within 50 feet). But we both climb out the same and I cruise faster. And, I like the more responsive feel of the the short coupled plane. If I were going to build a perfect plane from scratch it would be very similar to Pacer. I would not add more than a foot in length and a couple of feet to the wings. Maybe, we just need a couple of planes.

hey yeah more airplanes i think your on to somthing here!!!!!

I agree with Jay. For the cost of making a Maule out of a Pacer, you could almost buy a Maule and a Pacer! I wonder if building something like a Bearhawk wouldn't make more sense. It can be built from a kit, which would be expensive, or it can be built from plans if you have more time than money. The Bearhawk basically is a Maule clone, which in itself makes you wonder; why not just buy a Maule? When trying to build exactly what you want, it probably makes more sense to build an experimetal than to try modifying a certificated design.
    Mark

Reviving an old thread here, but here goes.

I have a bushmaster with a 180 horse on floats. Before that I owned a 135 hp PA-20 pacer on wheels. When I was buying the bushmaster I got my float rating in a 160 hp pacer on floats.

Let me tell you: the bushmaster and the pacer are nothing alike.

When you chop the throttle in the pacer, you get that wicked sink rate that can really bite you. The bushmaster has no such thing. Load the pacer to gross and you're going to be staggering down the runway and coaxing every drop of climb you can muster. Load the bushmaster to gross and you're climbing at better than 1,000 fpm.
    I never really minded the sink rate of the pacer when I had one. It was what I learned in, and I figured it out and made it work. But the bushmaster is much easier to land. You don't have to have to be a throttle jockey to make it work. You can chop the power and maintain a reasonable glide and low sink rate, then just come back on the yolk until she touches down. Easy!

Anyhow. There was a fair bit of speculation on here, and I wanted to say what my experiences are in both types. If you can't tell I really love the bushmaster and am very pleased with it.