WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Unidentified pieces

Default Unidentified pieces

My curiosity has gotten the better of me and I am wondering where in the world these pieces will go on our Tri Pacer. One of them is painted red because I thought it was part of the baggage compartment door frame but it's not. The curved piece is only about half the width of the fuselage just to give you an idea of what size the pieces are. What I am really wondering is if they are not even for our Tri Pacer because we have found a few other things in our boxes of parts that came with our plane which we know are not for our Tri Pacer. I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks a bunch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unidentified parts.jpg   unidentified parts (3).jpg  

JohnW Guest

The curved piece eludes me. I do not recollect it belonging originally on any of the PA22s I have ever seen. The "triangular" (quadrangular, actually... one of which you have red) pieces are the fairing pieces that mount BEHIND the rear PA-22 landing gear leg fittings. If the fuselage is already covered, check to see whether cousins of these were installed there. Often, they corroded and people just remake new ones. If they AREN'T in a covered fuselage, well...they were left out. In the "real world" I would say that they are not absolutely NECESSARY and wouldn't effect safety of flight, but they ARE supposed to be there.

I saw his "quadrangles" early this morning and wondered if they had been left out...
    I, like you John, am clueless on the narrow curved piece.
    "Some people are like a Slinky, absolutely useless but you cant help but smile when you push them down the stairs."

Our fuselage is far from being covered. The only possible place that I had not tried to place these pieces thus far is around the landing gear. I am assuming that they are not visible since they were never painted originally? The curved piece, since none of you can identify it, probably does not belong to our Tri Pacer.

They are covered with fabric, where the belly channels taper into nothing at the bottom longeron is where they fit. The radius in the surface gives the fuse a nice curved "rocker panel".
    "Some people are like a Slinky, absolutely useless but you cant help but smile when you push them down the stairs."

deleted...
    Last edited by taildraggerpilot; 01-09-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Ben V.

Quote Originally Posted by taildraggerpilot View Post
    In the picture I have circled the area the triangular pieces are installed. Mine didn't have any so I had to fab some and they are also pictured right above the location circled.
    Thank you all very much. If I wouldn't have asked, I probably would have covered the fuselage without these installed.

No problem, thats why we're here, we like to talk about planes.

that curved one must be a wheel opening molding for a volkswagon ahahahah!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jay heil View Post
    that curved one must be a wheel opening molding for a volkswagon ahahahah!!!!!!
    Actually, it could very well be.

I don't recognize it as Volkswagen, got any old motorbikes? looks like the crown molding on a front fender to me.

Is it possible it might be the bottom windshield channel?
    Bob Didisse
    Idahoplanenut
    1952 PA-20 150 N2712A

After a closer look I don't think so.
    Bob Didisse
    Idahoplanenut
    1952 PA-20 150 N2712A

How about a nose bowl rim?
    Tom T.

Quote Originally Posted by 6465 Bob Didisse View Post
    After a closer look I don't think so.
    We have the bottom window channel in another box but the piece pictured is, like I said, about half the width(or maybe less than half) of our fuselage, just to give you an idea of what size it is since I haven't measured it. Tom, I will have to try it around the nose bowl or the one of the cowlings and get back to you.

Did you ever figure out where that round curved piece went? .
    I have one that looks just like it

Thanks Greg