WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: minimum equipment list

Default minimum equipment list

is there a Minimum Equipment List for a PA 22/20 - 150?

JohnW Guest

No, there is no MEL, proper. FARs specify what minimum equipment is required for "each type of flight" (VFR, IFR, et c) and that's the name of that tune. Otherwise, anything "installed" in an aircraft is supposed to work or be logged AND placarded as "inop". Non required instruments/equipment that is(are) inop may be "removed" by an appropriated rated person (and logged accordingly) and/or NOT replaced, at the Owner/Operator's discretion. There ARE other regs available to you for "exhibition aircraft" and so forth, but the waters mud-up quickly.

If you have a Part 135 cert or wish to "invent your own" MEL (for whatever REASON, which escapes me ), contact your FSDO (and fasten your safetybelt because you are about to go on a paperchasing-ride).

Don Petty Guest

Read FARs/AC 91.203, 91.205, 91.209 and 91.211. I just had a BFR and the FAA regs blew my mine!

joewcasey Guest

Paper trail, and get out the ol' checkbook.

Keith
    When I was rebuilding my Colt I wanted the most basic (legally possible) as far as instruments were concerned. In looking at the TC data sheet it appeared to me that the PA22 TC was not specific for Colt or any other model and I could go with just what was spelled out in the TC. I looked also at the parts manual at the different panels that were produced by the factory and their instrumentation. Some Colts were made with just the most basic instruments along the lines of a Cub. Is your goal a basic airplane or just getting rid of a certain instrument?

Jim Miller

In a past life I have had some experience with getting MEL's approved. Some points to consider:
    1. MEL's are written based on a MMEL (master minimum equipment list). The MMEL is a product of the people who built and certified the airplane. In the absence of a MMEL an already time consuming task will increase greatly.
    2. I'm not sure what is to be gained by using a MEL on these types of aircraft. The list of deferable items would be very short.
    3. Nothing can be defered forever. The MEL will be required to spell out the maximum length of deferment. Some items cannot be defered and the maximum length for nonessential items only goes out 120 days. If the time limit expires the aircraft is grounded, even if it is a nonessential item.
    4. In some cased the MEL will allow pilot deferment of items. This can not be done if maintenence actions are required (a valve being wired in the closed position for example)
    so in most cases you would have to seek out a mechanic to defer the item.

These are simple airplanes and in my view it would be far simpler to just fix what is causing the concern.

Thanks for those responses -- I'm just completing a rebuld & my mechanic wanted to know if there is one -- appears not