WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IFR panel upgrade

Default IFR panel upgrade

Hi Guys! Since I often fly my PA22/20 IMC in the So Cal marine layer, I would like to upgrade my Panel.

I want to replace the original AN Heading indicator, (DG). There is a large hole, heading set knob at the base (center) of this old gyro. Is there room for a modern DG and a 1" vacuum gauge in this bottom hole? I want to change out the original 2" vacuum gauge (presently in a 3" hole). This would give me 1 more 3" inch hole for a G/S indicator.

I have a VFR GPS Com: Garmin 250XL, and a King KX 175B No Glide slope. Narco Xponder.

I need a 3 light marker and a glide slope minimum. Or should I go IFR GPS?

I was thinking of adding:

1. Audio panel (with 3 light). A built in intercom would save some space.
    2. King KX 155 with G/S and new indicator. (to replace my KX 175B).

Or: This VAL which would do the job, (in that vacuum panel hole)! My Radio guy says "Avoid VAL, not reliable": http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../valins422.php

With the VAL, I could keep the KX 175B and have 2 VOR's. (if I move the vacuum gauge).

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Jetfever; 09-20-2008 at 01:58 PM.

I fly my Pacer IFR with a Garmin 300XL GPS/COM, Appolo SL 60 (?) Com radio and a King NAV radio. You can find good used Garmin 300XL for just over $2,000 and they will give you enroute and none precission approach capability. I use the King NAV w/glide slope for the ILS approaches. The 300XL indicates when I cross the markers.

Juergen
    Pacer 3342Z

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I fly my Pacer IFR with a Garmin 300XL GPS/COM, Appolo SL 60 (?) Com radio and a King NAV radio. You can find good used Garmin 300XL for just over $2,000 and they will give you enroute and none precission approach capability. I use the King NAV w/glide slope for the ILS approaches. The 300XL indicates when I cross the markers.

Juergen
    Pacer 3342Z
    Thanks, Juergen. I did NOT know the 300XL (or any IFR GPS) is a legal substitute for marker crossing! This is very helpful.
    Last edited by Jetfever; 09-22-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfever View Post
    Hi Guys! Since I often fly my PA22/20 IMC in the So Cal marine layer, I would like to upgrade my Panel.

I want to replace the original AN Heading indicator, (DG). There is a large hole, heading set knob at the base (center) of this old gyro. Is there room for a modern DG and a 1" vacuum gauge in this bottom hole? I want to change out the original 2" vacuum gauge (presently in a 3" hole). This would give me 1 more 3" inch hole for a G/S indicator.

I have a VFR GPS Com: Garmin 250XL, and a King KX 175B No Glide slope. Narco Xponder.

I need a 3 light marker and a glide slope minimum. Or should I go IFR GPS?

I was thinking of adding:

1. Audio panel (with 3 light). A built in intercom would save some space.
    2. King KX 155 with G/S and new indicator. (to replace my KX 175B).

Or: This VAL which would do the job, (in that vacuum panel hole)! My Radio guy says "Avoid VAL, not reliable": http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../valins422.php

With the VAL, I could keep the KX 175B and have 2 VOR's. (if I move the vacuum gauge).

Any thoughts?
    I bet you avionics guy cant sell or service the Val and that's why he wants to sell you something else.
    Last edited by Tom T.; 09-22-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    Tom T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfever View Post
    I want to replace the original AN Heading indicator, (DG). There is a large hole, heading set knob at the base (center) of this old gyro. Is there room for a modern DG and a 1" vacuum gauge in this bottom hole?
    Yes, I did this in my Colt. The new style DG will fit in the old hole. You will have to enlarge the set knob hole a little to put the 1" gage in it.
    Dean Dayton

If you don't like the VAL you might look for a used Narco 122. I have one that came out of my aiplane and it is going right back in my new panel. Has VOR/LOV/GS and marker all in the same unit. One 3 1/8 hole.

Rex

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post
    Yes, I did this in my Colt. The new style DG will fit in the old hole. You will have to enlarge the set knob hole a little to put the 1" gage in it.
    Cool! Did you put the "mask" or "panel cover" back original, or did you have to enlarge this hole (for 1" vacuum gage) as well?

My first plane was a C-182 which I put a VAL vor/glide slope unit in. It functioned perfectly until the plane was sold. If all their products work like this, you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jacobson View Post
    My first plane was a C-182 which I put a VAL vor/glide slope unit in. It functioned perfectly until the plane was sold. If all their products work like this, you will love it.
    Thanks, Wayne. Great to hear of your good experience with VAL avionics. I could not find anything on the web concerning reliability or performance, and I had never heard of this 422. There is a new model out: http://www.valavionics.com/ I just might go with the VAL. Keep it simple. I have no audio panel and I could add this unit without exceeding the 80% Generator Power. VAL makes a simple TSO'd audio panel as well.
    Last edited by Jetfever; 09-26-2008 at 02:11 AM.

N4567A Guest

The Val 760 in the Tripacer has been providing coms for 15+ years with no problem. Heck, it has to be good, made here in the NW Where all men are honest and dashing, and the women are beautiful and intelligent!
    (Let's see, how do I forward this to my wife....)
    Rodg

Quote Originally Posted by N4567A View Post
    The Val 760 in the Tripacer has been providing coms for 15+ years with no problem. Heck, it has to be good, made here in the NW Where all men are honest and dashing, and the women are beautiful and intelligent!
    (Let's see, how do I forward this to my wife....)
    Rodg
    Dear Rodg's wife, beware, he wants something!!
    When I thought we had a problem with the Valcom 760, I sent it to the factory. It took a couple of days and came back certified as OK and there was no charges. Now, how can you beat someone like that? I bet narco, king, garmen and the rest of em would be a charging for any thing they can think of!
    Hey Rodg, I am from the NW too. I will send you a picture of my 300 pound prom date. She' beatfufulll
    Tom T.

+ Reply to Thread