WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: GoldenEagle Flight Prep (It's Free)

Default GoldenEagle Flight Prep (It's Free)

Most of you probably know about GoldenEagle Flight Prep, but maybe some newbes like me might want to check it out.

CSC DUATS on the Web

GoldenEagle is Free. don't cost a dime. It is found on the web at "CSC Duats on the Web". Then click on GoldenEagle Flight Prep. It is a flight planning tool that is 100 times better than the one that AOPA has. This one will show you your route over what looks like a sectional. It's got weather, shows airfield runways, kinda like using a gps. Plug in the numbers and it does a weight & balance. Just about anything you could plug into a gps, you can do here. If you plan point a to b, then suddenly remember an enroute stop, you can rubber band the stop into the plan. Does so much, you can't explain it all, got to try it for yourself.

Gene

Wayne Guest

You got that right Gene. You forgot one more super feature. All of the TFRs are painted on the map as well. A quick look at Golden Eagle and there is no question whether that TFR is on your path. WAyne

when you use golden eagle flight prep do you have to download and install the program or can you use it directly on the duat site.

I installed the free program from a CD I got at the AOPA convention two years ago and it was so slow, I un installed it.
    Andy Anderson
    PA-22/20-150

Wayne Guest

You do have to install the program and go on line and set it up one time. There is an 800 number and a very helpful fellow on the other end of the line to help in the process. It does help to have a fairly high speed Internet line as every 2 months there is a data update that must either be downloaded or installed via CD. Also, when you start Golden eagle each time the program downloads the current winds aloft, the METARS, and the TFRs for the country. This process takes less than a minute on a high speed line. A cup of coffee might be in order on a dial-up line. Good luck, Go Flying, WAyne

You can do either way Andy. Down load from the web to your computer. Once you are up and running, around the first of each month it will up date itself off the Internet with new data. If you choose to have it display Metar's, they will pop up at the airfields with weather. Then you can choose what ever weather minimums you like to represent IFR or MVFR or use the standard ones and the Metar boxes at the airfields will turn colors to indicate IFR conditions without opening the boxes to read the weather.

You can also order a disk from an 800 # and take it on trips to use for flt planing away from home. Got to update the disk off the web ever so often if you don't use it much. I have not used the disk away from home, so I do not know if the disk down loads to the hard drive or works off the disk.

Once the program is on your hard drive it only down loads the current weather off the web. Takes about 30 seconds for me using the local Internet service. After that the system is as fast as your computer. Everything is on the hard drive. Then once a month it will update itself off the web. Might take a minute or two for it to download. Then restart GoldenEagle and the new data is there.

The have addons that you can buy for big bucks, but I have been using it for a while, with trips to Michigan, Colorado and Texas and not needed anything else. Great for mountains. You pick a flight level and it tells you if you will fly through a peak.
    Gene
    Last edited by cwo4ret; 10-29-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Adding information

N4567A Guest

Might want to take a look at "Voyager Free Flight" from Seattle Avionics. I just got through watching a video demo, amazing. I've been using it for 2 years and only use 10% of it's capabilities. Main strength for me is it keeps you safe in mountains...kind of a biggie here in the upper left hand corner.

Wayne Guest

Oops, I forgot to mention a couple of the real important features. The first is that you can receive a "LEGAL" FAA weather briefing from Golden Eagle. We all know how important it is to be able to say "I did get a briefing" if something doesn't go quite right. The second is that you can file a VFR or IFR flight plan also without having to talk to a briefer if you don't wish to. WAyne

I had version 3 that worked pretty well. However, version 4 is a real system hog and you had better have a serious computer to be able to run it. Mine isn't exactly top of the line machine but it's also not the bottom. Version 4 took forever to load and run and I had to shut everything else down to get that far.

If you've got the machine for it, it's a good program.