WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: On the radio - what do you call yourself?

Default On the radio - what do you call yourself?

What do you call yourself when talking on the radio? Piper? Tri-Pacer? Colt? Pacer? Other?

I've been using "Piper" and telling ATC it is a PA-22. On my last flight using flight following, (4.5 hrs down and back), I got called Piper, Cherokee, Arrow, and Cessna. I never correct them, just roll with it.

In the traffic pattern I also use "Piper".

What do the rest of you use?

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Hi Kurt; I respectfully disagree with the concept of "rolling with it". When I get an advisory to follow a Cherokee or a Cessna, I look for a Cherokee, or a Cessna. I use Tripacer or Pacer not Piper because of the high wing/low wing difference. Some Pipers are low wing, ours are high wing.

Good point. So would you suggest I call my Colt "Tri-Pacer" since it is instantly recognizable as one and infinitely more controllers and pilots will know what it is?

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

deleted deleted
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 04-08-2010 at 07:45 PM.

When I first started flying my TriPacer I Identified myself as TriPacer N6076D. When calling for flight following from the local tower on the start of a cross country the controller at TYS asked what a TriPacer was and I replied a fabric covered high wing Piper built in the 50's. After a lenghty pause which I now imagine was full of laughter on thier end, they requested the Type Designation, to which I told them PA22-150. Now around the area I just use TriPacer and they all seem to know me but when I head out and call at a different tower I always use TriPacer PA22-150 on my first call in and they usually use TriPacer afterwards.

Maybe use Piper Colt PA22-108 in the beginning and see what they use afterwards..

I use "Tripacer N8530D" when first calling tower or "center", or at an uncontrolled field. If I am asking for flight following, they genereally ask me for type to which I reply PA22-150. On subsequent calls to tower and center, I use just my call sign. If at an uncontrolled field that is busy, I generally just do subsequent calls with "Tripacer" because no one can read the N numbers anyway and it shortens the time on the radio.

Keith

Wayne Guest

I use Pacer 3414. Center or whoever usually then calls me Tri-Pacer but that is all right Ignorance is bliss. At least other pilots know what to look for.

I use "Tri-pacer 8141C" and occasionally get a "say type." Once in while I get called a cherokee after giving the type- PA=cherokee?
    Larry Portouw
    N8141C PA-22
    E95/Benson, AZ

"I use Tri-Pacer 2312 Papa" ,and have one more than one occasion gotten responses from controllers like " Hey, my dad / uncle had one of those !!" ....

Johnnie
    Last edited by BigJohnnie; 06-14-2009 at 05:42 PM.

I always use "Piper Colt" and so far no problems. ATC seems to know who I am, afterwards they generally reference me as a Piper to other pilots in the area.
    Aviators live by hours, not by days.
    ó T. H. White, 'England Have My Bones,' 1936

Good repsonses! I think next time I'll try just the tail number and when they say, "say type aircraft" I'll tell them PA-22, Piper Colt and see how that works. I'll dispense with the "108" part as there's no reason to advertise how underpowered and slow I am.

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

The other night I was in the hangar after dark and with the scanner going and heard a guy call in Pacer so and so and was wondering who it was and a biz jet landed. Never heard of a Pacer biz jet. That could get confusing.
    Aviationaholic

heard that one before and I think it is the call sign of 135 or 121 operator
    Andy Anderson
    PA-22/20-150

I always call in as Pacer 3342Z when in the landing pattern and when contacting ATC. I want to make sure that other pilots look for a tail-wheel airplane (if they know what a Pacer is) in the pattern. When on an IFR flight plan I check in as Pacer as well and the most controlers stay with it, but since I file as PA-22/G on my flight plan some controlers inform other traffic to look for a PA-22 (I'm not sure if the other traffic always knows what a PA-22 is).

Juergen
    Pacer 3342Z

I think it is very important to identify yourself as"Pacer",(or whatever type you are), this way the controllers know what kind of aircraft they can expect, (if they seem confused its you as PIC to set them straight on what you are, ie tailwheel and approach speed). Most Pilots know what a Pacer, Tri, etc, is, and they can vary their speed should they be on the approach behind you, and/or look for that type.
    Just bring a bit of professionalism to our fun flying and being proud of our machines.

thxs Peter Lubig
    President (new)
    St. Lawrence Seaway Chapter
    CF-IHG

I call my self pacer 6811.I love it when come back with tri-pacer and I say that was before a student removed the nose wheel in 76(it took me a lot longer to put it to gather then for them to take it apart).I like number and typ. I find most people dont listen vary well and that gives them two way to find me for traffic avodinc.We are mostly trying tell if the aircraft is a jet a fast twin or single a normal single(172 pa28 or what ever)or a j3 typ from 1 and 1/2 miles it is hard to see couler or typ. good luck

The handheld Icom in my Vagabond with external antenna gets out just fine, but the battery life is so short (even with new batteries) I talk as little as possible.

When asked type, I respond "High wing Piper, 80 knots." In my case, I believe knowing the (slow) speed helps ATC as much as knowing what it looks like.

I think I am going to start calling my Colt a Tri-Pacer when talking to ATC. None of them seem to know what a Colt is and I end up being called Cherokee.
    Dean Dayton

I'm with Dean on this one. Seems like the best option. If ya can't beat em, join em!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post
    I think I am going to start calling my Colt a Tri-Pacer when talking to ATC. None of them seem to know what a Colt is and I end up being called Cherokee.
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

SrG Guest

I call my self "Piper Niner Zero Two Eight Delta"

In traffic reports tower calls me a "Piper Tri-Pacer"

seems many people around here know who we are

Wayne Guest

At Santa Paula Airport I heard a guy call himself white and yellow high wing. He was flying a Satabria. That made more since to me than any other call. It was a very brief and I was posative I had spotted the aircraft that called down wind. What do you guys and gals think of this procedure. One could add their N number but that just lengthen the air time.

I think that is a great way to handle announcements near an uncontrolled airport. However, it probably won't satisfy an ATC controller sitting in a TRACON with no windows;-)
    Dean Dayton

joewcasey Guest

Ultimately our goal should be to shorten our communication time, while providing accurate info. I think it's quicker and easier to say "Citabria XXXXX" than "White and yellow high wing XXXXX." Much more professional.

N4567A Guest

At uncontrolled airports I use "Yellow Vagabond 79 Hotel".

I usually use Piper tripple 3 5 Zulu (N3335Z), but I would rather just say "Piper Super Stub"
    Aviationaholic

SrG Guest

At non-towered airports we usually just say where we're at and end with our destination.
    "Down wind for six, Hoonah"

out there nobody cares what your N-number is or who you are. Just need to know where you are and where you're headed.