WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Scattering Ashes

aviex Guest

Default Scattering Ashes

I've been asked to scatter cremated ashes from my Colt and in the heat of the moment agreed to the request. I am now beginning to have doubts, I don't want to open the door in flight or risk getting a face-full through a blowback through the window vent, which wouldn't be very digified. I am sure I am not the first shortwinger to have to deal with this and would appreciate any advice if anyone has experience.

There are now 3 certainties in the world: death, taxes, and questions about putting ashes overboard in a shortwing. I think I've seen a number of threads in the past on this topic here and on other forums. There's a 12 post thread on this from 2007. Type "ashes" in the search box. The only thing I've thrown overboard in a shortwing is time and mone! Good luck.
    Larry Portouw
    N8141C PA-22
    E95/Benson, AZ

I recently participated in spreading the ashes of a friend. The local mechanic loaned us a neat device for doing this.
    It was section of 4in PVC pipe that we strapped to the step of a C172. The forward end had a cap with a small (1in or smaller) hole to provide ram air. The rear end had a simple hinged door and a simple pin that could be pulled via a wire to allow the door to open. A plastic bag was inserted into the rear end and the opening was taped around the outside of the pipe.
    The ashes were inserted into the bag, when the pin was pulled the door opened and ram air inverted the plastic bag and dispersing the ashes nicely.
    The swing open window on the 172 made routing of the pull wire easy, but I don't see why you couldn't route the wire through the small vent window on the Colt.
    Make sure you do a test with flour or something before you try it with the real thing.
    Dean Dayton

A friend of mine once tried simply dumping the bag out the vent window on a cherokee and ended up with most of the ashes back in the plane. The poor fellow ended up in a shop vac. He would never try it again. I've heard of it being done with a hose out the back door but never tried it myself.
    Aviationaholic

Air blowing across the open end of a hose will create a vacuum, wire tie a hose( I'm thinking scat type) to the gear leg and let a passenger use the other end to vacuum out the container, like Dean says a short test flight might be in order...Good Luck!
    "Some people are like a Slinky, absolutely useless but you cant help but smile when you push them down the stairs."

I have done this on 4 occasions with my Kitfox. Just happens I have an inspection hole in front of the seat just to the right of center. It goes down through the floor and the fabric. I use a metal stovepipe that goes from right near the bottom of the panel down through to an elbow below and a 12" piece of pipe continuing rearward, The ashes are in a plastic bag. The bag is duct taped to the top of the pipe. Once over the area,my accomplice lifts the bag and releases the ashes down the pipe. Seems to work just fine. On the afore mentioned "trial run" put your hand over the hose. If if ain't sucking,don't dump! Remember, make sure it sucks or you will be sharing the cabin with him/her. Doesn't sound pleasant to me. Larry Huntley

aviex Guest

Many thanks for the comments and sage advice. I don't have to do this until the Spring so I think I'll experiment over the Winter with a few of the ideas mentioned here. I'll let you know how I get on.

I did this once. The request was to have the ashes spread at sea. I put them in a brown paper bag rolled it up without sealing it in any way. Then threw it out an open door. The bag stayed intact until it hit the water. A plum of ash spread out in the water immediatly upon contact and I am sure the entire bag melted away in the Sea water. No muss no fuss.

Default Scattering Ashes

We have a local pilot that has an FAA a 377 for an ashes scattering device that open sunder remote control and is attached the strut of a Cessna (182 RG in his case). Click on the "A Final Flight" card on this page to contact him (George Pohlman).
    http://www.svaero.org/businesses.htm
    Larry Portouw
    N8141C PA-22
    E95/Benson, AZ