WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Static ports and IFR certification.

Default Static ports and IFR certification.

Hello, I have a question about static ports in my PA22-108 Colt. The instrument static ports look like they are just open to atmosphere behind the instrument panel. I have come across other posts where owners have found their static system the same way. I am looking to convert my Colt to IFR. If so, what are my static system requirements? Has anyone else performed this upgrade as well? Any help and direction that can be offered will be greatly appreciated!

Thank-you

The dual static ports for the Colt are on the belly towards the rear of the plane. Take a look at the attached drawing. This is one drawing from the SWPC drawing CD. Well worth the cost.

Tom Anderson
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tom, maybe you know the answer to this, but did Colts and maybe other PA-22s as well, come from the factory with only the airspeed plumbed in to the static ports? There are too many reports of owners, myself included, who's VSI and Altimeter are open to the back of the panel for me to believe someone over the years removed all static plumbing from those two instruments, from all these airplanes.

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

If you look at Piper Drawings 15120 and 15122, the non gyro and gyro insturment panel for the Colt it appears only the airspeed indicator is connected to the static ports.
    The SWPC drawing CD is a must for Piper owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    If you look at Piper Drawings 15120 and 15122, the non gyro and gyro insturment panel for the Colt it appears only the airspeed indicator is connected to the static ports.
    The SWPC drawing CD is a must for Piper owners.
    Thanks Gilbert. That's what I figured, it just contradicts other information that's out there.

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt