WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Spin Approved?

Default Spin Approved?

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone could chime in. Are the Short Wing Pipers spin approved?

thanks
    JB

Look at your flight manual. My Colt was approved for spins when the load was limited to Utility category. My PA22-20 is placarded against spins (I think this is a limit of the tailwheel conversion STC).

I tried to spin the Colt was not successful in getting it to spin.
    Dean Dayton

The utility category is the key. I need to consult my flight manual to be sure, but I think the problem is the rudder interconnect in the Tri-Pacer. There was once a kit to add longer Piper Colt style steering horns with spring centering needed with out the interconnect and a placard for w&b in utility mode.

thanks for the replies. I can't check my owners maual yet. I don't yet have access to one of these short wing machines; however, I'm thinking about chasing a CFI rating. Figure that I'll have to get endorsed for spins before I can get very far into it.

I need to go spin the Colt. "how hard could it be?". Seriously, I hear they spin nicely, I've just never tried.

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Default Spins

My '54 135/150 is placarded against spins and the FM also indicates spins prohibited. Mine will slowly start to go over it you stall it with the ball way out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbruce View Post
    Hey there, I was wondering if anyone could chime in. Are the Short Wing Pipers spin approved?

thanks
    JB
    Larry Portouw
    N8141C PA-22
    E95/Benson, AZ

Thanks!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Kurts View Post
    I need to go spin the Colt. "how hard could it be?". Seriously, I hear they spin nicely, I've just never tried.

Kurt
    Yeah, Kurt!! What could go wrong?!! LOL

My '55 PA-22-150 was approved for spins when loaded within the UTILITY CATEGORY. I don't remember any requirement for the aileron interconnect to be dis-connected. Not sure there. The inter-connect can be overpowered by a boot-full of rudder and the airplane spins nicely. It does not want to enter a spin however and can be held in an upright wing rocking deep stall with rudder alone, (and falling like a bowling ball). Either pedal Full rudder and hold will force a tight very nose down symmetric spin. Simply neutralizing the controls the airplane will recover, but still very nose down and gaining speed rapidly.

With My Univair 22/20 Tail-Wheel Conversion STC they did not do the flight-testing for UTL Cat so it is restricted and placarded from intentional spins.