WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Any advice for a first time Short wing owner?

Default Any advice for a first time Short wing owner?

Hopefully by the end of next week I will have my first short wing, a Tri-Pacer 150.
    The current owner is going to work with me for several hours if need to get aquainted with the plane.
    Talking to him and reading through this site I know I need to expect to use some power while landing.
    Any other tricks to flying this plane

Congrats on your impending purchase, I'm sure you'll like it. These are easy airplanes to fly and have no bad habits. Post pictures and let us know how the flying goes!

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiseman View Post
    Hopefully by the end of next week I will have my first short wing, a Tri-Pacer 150.
    The current owner is going to work with me for several hours if need to get aquainted with the plane.
    Talking to him and reading through this site I know I need to expect to use some power while landing.
    Any other tricks to flying this plane
    Welcome aboard, hope you will enjoy the Club.

PeterL
    President

Any recommendations on when to buy insurance?

When? As soon as possible. Where? I have had good luck with Travers Insurance.

I need to check my spelling, I meant to ask where to get insurance.
    I'll check into Travelers, thanks for that info.

It's actually Travers Aviation Insurance. 800-888-9859. They have treated me very well with two Tri-Pacers and a Cherokee. I'm sure there are other very good ones out there but so far so good.

I'll give'em a call today

I use Aircraft and Marine Assurance. They are easily found on the web and out of seattle washington I believe.

I use Avemco for insurance. They are a little higher than the other guys, but were the only ones who would give me hull insurance at the level I wanted. So far, they have been easy to work with.
    -------------------------------------------
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA-22-150/160
    N6929D
    My Photos

Out of curiosity, what are people paying? I go through a broker nearby who gets me quotes every year from four or five different companies and I'm very happy with their service. This year it was either $380 for 14k of hull value or $430 for 20k hull value. I had been doing 14 but this year asked for a quote for 20. I went with the 20k hull value since it was only $50 more.

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Kurts, best quote I revieved was $799 for 18k hull and liability

Kirby, with few hours in type it will be a little expensive the first year. It should go down considerably the second year. Did you get her moved yet?

Yep, Picked the plane up on friday and flew it for a couple hours. I also took the wife and kids up yesterday for an hour and a half.
    I had to do 2 go rounds because unlike the first landing I just could not get final speed settled in. Too fast and to slow. But I plane to go out today alone to work on getting my approches worked out

Good deal! Better to go around than forcing it on. Everybody complains about the sink rate but if you'll peg that speed and if she gets too slow just give her a tweak of power and let her settle on the runway. The plane won't float like a 172 or a Cherokee. If you're too high and too slow, she'll plunk down and bounce around. Very forgiving airplane as long as you keep flying her and maintain directional control.

Man . . .I reread that and if I didn't know better it almost sounded like I knew what I was talking about. There's better Tri-Pacer pilots out there than me so you guys chime in here if you disagree with what I'm saying. Fly safe Kirby!!

Quote Originally Posted by rwdurham View Post
    Man . . .I reread that and if I didn't know better it almost sounded like I knew what I was talking about. There's better Tri-Pacer pilots out there than me so you guys chime in here if you disagree with what I'm saying. Fly safe Kirby!!
    I agree 100% with what you're saying. The TriPacer really doesn't float unless you are WAY fast. And so true that if you're a little high and a little slow, she'll drop in and bounce around a bit. Just keep her straight and she'll treat you good. It really is a pretty forgiving airplane to fly as long as you have half-decent stick'n'rudder skills. I'm still amazed how fun they are to fly every time I get into mine.
    -------------------------------------------
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA-22-150/160
    N6929D
    My Photos

It looks like I'll be able to fly it a bit tomorrow. I plan to spend that time doing touch and goes. I really want to figure out the best way to get it on the ground. I know it just takes practice and I plan to do a lot of that.

I'm a new Tri-pacer flyer myself. I've found that in the pattern 2,000 rpm gets you a level 80 mph -- for the descent portion of the pattern, anything less that 1,700 rpm and 80 mph will result in a high sink rate, so don't let it surprise you!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I have been doing a little practice lately and getting much more comfortable with my approaches.
    I have noticed 80 is much better than anything slower