WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Salt Flats Landing Video

Default Salt Flats Landing Video

This is video I shot with my GoPro while landing on the salt flats during the Dawn Patrol flight at the Ogden Convention.

What a hoot!

Blue Skies,
    Tim

http://youtu.be/hZUZqkPMXX8

Great job, I like it!!

Peter

I need to find out where that is that you can go and land on the salt. I'm from Salt Lake and unfortunately couldn't make it to the convention. Anybody know where to go?

Very nice ,I'd love to do that one day

Tim,

Great Video, captured the day!!
    Krispyxxx, these paticular mud flats are about 12 KM due west of OGD, just south of the railroad (and the Tall Towers at Little Mountain). From there, just follow the RR Tracks across the causeway to the Promontory Point strip and then north along the Eastern shore of GSL. I'm usually around, just call and we'll go fly it together.
    John Utah SWPC 801 499-0413

Well done !! looks like a blast ....

Frank

Thanks for the info John. I've taken my Pacer out to Promontory Point and I've landed at Spiral Jetty. I love landing at spiral jetty, gets my heart racing. I've also been up to Black mountain. While I was going back to slc from spiral jetty there looked to be a lot of good places to land on the salt. I just didn't dare do it because I'm not sure how soft it is. There's a big flat salt spot just east of spiral jetty. Have you landed there? We should go up flying. Sounds fun. I built a runway up in Richmond on my dads wheat field. It is a lot of fun. I'll have to post pictures or video.

Hey John, are you planning on doing any flying on Saturday the 22nd? Anything going on in ogden? I'd like to do some flying

Krispyxxx,

Sure! Give me a call at 801 499-0413. The smoke from the Idaho fires is still laying in the valleys, so a bit of visability will be lost, but any flying day is a good day!! The Ogden Terminal has changed a bit due to Alegiant Air now flying to Mesa AZ twice a week. They have blocked off the ramp right in front of the terminal for the DC-9 (big red box), so stay south of that when you park. My hanger (S859) is on the south ramp, the first one on the east end of the tan hangers visable from the terminal area. Let me know if you plan to fly up,

John Kobbeman
    801 499-0413
    UTAH Pacer

Krispyxxx,

The large Salt Flat / Mud Flat area east of the Spiral Jetty is called Rozel Bay, and at times has some soft spots in it! We haven't landed on it in a season or two, but have in the past. Generally, the lightest sun bleached sand is the driest and firmest, with the darker color being more likely to be wet and softer. The "Sheep Herders" jeep trail just northwest of Jpiral Jetty is fun, and where we do some shooting and picknicing

Enjoy the day
    john