WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: 1961 Colt Project

Default 1961 Colt Project

I recently bought a 1961 Colt project that I will be working on. My original intent was to keep the fuselage for an experimental build (Wagabond) and part out everything else. The Wagabond is a Vagabond replica, but the fuselage is almost identical to the Colt's fuselage, largest difference being main gear mount locations. The first Piper I ever fell in love with was a Colt, back when I did not know the difference between a Colt and a TriPacer. A lot of people think the fuselage is the same between the two just minus rear seating, but actually the Colt fuselage is shorter resulting is an overall length around 18'8" whereas a TriPacer is 20'6" But after looking everything over and talking to a neighbor friend and A&P, I have decided to build it back as a Colt. There are a few parts missing, and going this route will not be the cheapest way to end up with a Colt but once done it will be in very good shape and like I want it for the most part. I feel like I bought a kit plane now without the build instructions It will make a great trainer as I am a pilot to be ! Friends and neighbors who have seen it pulled out of my garage always ask "Do you know how to fly"? I just joke and say no, but how hard can it be? It's like riding a bike, you just have to do it, fall off a few times until you get it right. The looks I get are priceless, then I explain the whole deal about plane rental for training, etc and this is a good way to go if I am going to buy a plane anyway (by buying first, not necessarily a project).
    I have a few mods via STCs I am thinking about, like a skylight, vortex generators, and rear TriPacer/Pacer type windows (which can be done via a 337). I would like to do Sullivan or Stewart wing tips, but I need to watch my budget and I am not sure there would be as much benefit of extended wing tips on a Colt as is seen on the larger TriPacer and Pacer. I also plan to go 135 or even better 150 HP. I think that, in conjuction with Vortex generators will make a very nice performing Colt.
    I will try to do updates as I go, and will post some pictures soon as well.

Well hows the project coming? I hope things are moving along. Mine has stalled for now, still buying parts here and there( mostly E-Bay). Too cold here in Missouri now to work outside on the driveway.

Bruce

Same here, I made some good progress into the fall but once the cold started I backed off. I have acquired some more needed parts, can't wait for warm weather again !! It's probably not as cold here in NC but too cold to be out working on a plane
    I did buy the VG STC, and have the rear window frames purchased from Univair. Still considering a possible STC for improved wingtips but there is much more that has a higher priority right now.

Glad to hear about your progress. I went to see the mechanic yesterday with my pistons that he wanted to see. One piston is broken ( looks like it was dropped ) and he will check the others. All my cylinders look good and will stay standard size, so thats good news. I have a front nose wheel strut rebuild kit, so I am going to install it while I am at work. The shop is heated and my tools are there. It's nice to be the boss.

Bruce

Leave room in the strut for a few ounces of the Granville sealer. I did mine last fall and it never did seal up right until I put that stuff in.

Craig