• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bsponsler
    New Forumator
    • Oct 2013

Vagabond left door modification.

Hello,

Does anyone have information regarding modifying a PA-15 to have a left hand door. I have seen a few with them, but have not been able to find out if they were done as an STC of if they are a field mod.

Thanks,

Bill Sponsler
  • Tom Anderson
    Forum Administrator
    • Nov 2006

Bill,

I went through all of the published STCs for the PA-15 and PA-17 looking for a left hand door STC and could find none. The ones you saw were probably done on a field approval. You might talk to the Stewarts in Cashmere, WA http://www.stewartsystems.aero or Eddy Trimmer in Alaska http://www.trimmeraviation.com/.

Tom Anderson

Comment

• A V Ator
      New Forumator
      • Nov 2013

My PA 17 has a left door done in 93 with a 337 that only referenced N4691H, 17-89, dated 6-30-64 and another 337 N4590H, 17-4, dated 10-9-87 that was approved by the NM-FSDO-65 R F Masterson, FAA Inspector. Missed a chance to buy N4383H, 15-168, that has a left door with a FAA field approved 337 dated 10-28-03 referencing a one time STC SA1125GL for a PA 17, 17-180, dated 1-14-87 with drawings, photos and written descriptions. Personally, it I was to do the mod, I would handle it through Terry Bowden, DER, Certified Aeronautical Products, [email protected] or - (254) 715-4773. The FAA literally has stopped doing field approvals, unless you have a great FAA inspector to work with. Also, a step added is a separate mod that requires approval as no PA 15/17 ever came from the factory with one.
      A V Ator

Comment

• bsponsler
        New Forumator
        • Oct 2013

Thanks for the great information. I'm currently working with Eddy Trimmer and he is working with the FAA to get the PA-15/17 included in the 16/20/22 STC for the float plane door. Not sure what the timeline is with the FAA, but its a start. I'll post one way or another when I get more information. Bill

Comment

Working...