WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Maintenance Data now Availabl - Updated 12/29/15

Exclamation Maintenance Data now Availabl - Updated 12/29/15

We have just completed a major update to the Maintenance Data Depot on the SWPC web site. It is now much easier to navigate and a searchable listing of all STCs applicable to Short Wings has been added. Access it as described below. New updates including form 337s will be coming this spring.

For everyone that is a member of the SWPC we now have added a new member benefit to the SWPC web site. There is now a new technical Maintenance Depot data base section that has been added. This section currently includes all of the Airframe, Engine and Propeller ADs that apply to the 5 types of Short Wings. Also, all of the Service Bulletins, Service Letters and Service Memos that Piper published are there. In addition, under the Miscellaneous Maintenance Data are copies of the Parts Manual, Owners Manuals that we have, Inspection checklists, Flight Manual Supplements and more. Please check it out!!

Log into the club's the web site. You must be logged in to access this data. Once logged in you will see a "Members Only" tab at the top of the "My Account" page your log in takes you to, click on it. A drop down menu will display will display with one of the choices being "Technical". Move your mouse over "Technical" and a second drop down menu will appear with one of the choices being "Maintenance Depot", click on it. This will take you to a page where you can choose what type of data you want to look at.

We will be adding the ADs for the Aircraft Accessories next and then a complete listing of available STC and copies of 337 field approvals that we have available.

There are obviously some items that are missing because I don't currently have copies of them. If you have data that you would like to share with our members please forward it to me and I will try to get it issued during the periodic updates of the site.

Thanks to Qwen and Myrna Mybus for adding the data generated by Ralph Gutowski and my self to the site.

Tom Anderson
    Last edited by Tom Anderson; 12-29-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Tom,
    Thanks to Ralph and yourself for the very beneficial addition to the SWPC web site!
    MarkO
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Default Good job!

Thanks for working to bet this new feature into the website.

Thanks to all involved .... I enjoyed reading ADs this AM ....

Jeff.

There is a whole lot of data there on short wings. With all the Service Bulletins, Service Letters, and Service Memos and the Maintenance Data there is a lot to comprehend. More will be added and some items corrected if the web site ever gets updated and we can get access again. I'm still tempted to build a separate site and just give the club a link with access only through the link. We will see what happens this spring.

Tom Anderson

Tom,

I purchased the Tips & Techniques CDs ..... and just realized I probably need to purchase the Drawings CD ... any other suggestions ...

Also .... for getting instruments repaired (Directional Gyro) ... I found Gulf Coast Avionics in Lakeland FL .... any other suggested repair shops ....

Jeff,

You might also want to consider the rigging CD when you find the timing appropriate. It is a detailed presentation of the rigging procedure for all short wings. If you look at the maintenance data on the web site, you will find the Tri-Pacer parts manual there in a PDF file. You can either copy it to your computer or print it out. A hard copy is real handy. Also, the inspection check lists are also there for when annuals come around.

There are a number of good instrument repair shop around. I know there are some in Oklahoma that are some what more reasonable than others. I'll have to get you some names. I had a friend just get his DG overhauled and he is quite satisfied with the job and the price. I'll get back to you on the name.

Tom

Good Evening Tom,

Thanks for information .... I remember some high-points of rigging a Tripacer ... from friends ....20 years ago ... I helped my friend rig a Tripacer, after he had completed a frame-up restoration .... back in 1983 ....1984 ... Lou was an instructor for naval aviators ( WWII) learning to fly Stearmans .... His wife was a WAC .... she delivered recently built Stearmans .... I learned a lot from Lou over a 3 year period ...

Never thought I would use a plumb bob ... We hung it from top tube of cabin frame at top of windshield at a screw/peg (can't remember) ... adjusted height of wheels to get plumb bob to hang over "dimple" in horizontal top- tube of seat frame beneath copilots seat .... "horizontal flight position"

After getting dihedral right with adjustment of front struts/forks and getting wash right ... adjusting rear strut/fork ....

Every one was happy after plane flew hands-off on maiden flight ... I was pleasantly surprised ...

When you get a minute ... I would appreciate names for repairing instruments ... directional gyro ... first ....

Thanks ,

Jeff

Jeff,

It sounds like you have the fundamentals of the rigging down. My only suggestion is that once you have the plane level, use a digital level to set the dihedral and washout versus the string method. It's much more accurate.

I just had a friend get his DG overhauled at Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita, KS http://www.flyaqi.com/home.htm and is very satisfied with the result. Apparently, when this shop quotes a price, it includes the parts, where many of the others add the parts cost to the overhaul price. And, their prices are competitive. There are a number of other shops in that area of the country, but this is the only one I have had exposure to recently. However, there are the more common names such as Keystone Instruments http://www.keystoneinstruments.com/index.html .

Tom

Tom,

I am not a purist .... but I like the string method .... mainly for its "time-less" nature .... I am a Civil/environmental engineer .... The first time I used a Plumb Bob was on a piece of surveying equipment .... many years ago. Will take your advice on using digital level to set the dihedral and washout versus the string method.... maybe I will use string for initial setup .....

Thanks for timely response concerning instrument shops ....

Jeff

I've had both of my old AN gyros rebuilt by Keystone. The instruments look nice when they come back and the service is usually prompt. I did have to send the DG back twice, however. This last time took them almost two months but at least it appears to be working fine now.

Kurt
    Ex-Vice President

63' Colt

Tom, I am a member (new) and I just cannot find the Technical tab at the top of the page you refer to.
    Can you post a direct link.
    It is very hard to navigate on this site and find the information I look for.
    I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    Thank you,
    JD

The technical tab is under the "Members Only" tab. That tab only becomes visible after you log in as a member. It is a separate log in from the forums. Good Luck.
    Dan

JD,

I have edited and updated the instructions for accessing the "Maintenance Depot" in the post announcing it at the top of this page The web site changed somewhat after this was posted and I didn't realize how out of date it was. If you still have trouble, drop me a personal message and I'll get you on

Tom Anderson

Thank you Tom.
    I am still waiting for my decoder ring to decrypt the site...
    JD

See update of first Maintenance Data Depot post