X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Anderson
    Forum Administrator
    • Nov 2006

ADS-B in and out

I am currently trying to make my Nexus 7 into a reasonable back up GPS as my Garmin is getting old (Garmin 295). There is a free moving map GPS app called Avare that is pretty good for the price (free). There is no charge for updating the maps and it includes NexRad weather, approach plates, etc. The problem is when I place the Nexus 7 in a knee pad holder, it looses GPS lock. Tablets typically don't have as high quality antenna as do dedicated units. As a result I am looking at a Bluetooth GPS such as the Dual XGPS150A (cost about $90) to improve the reception and speed.
    The alternatives are to go to the Dual XGPS170 which provides ADS-B in at a cost of $549 or go to the full ADS-B in and out with a SkyGuard TWX which includes an AHRS for about $1845. The biggest differences are the SkyGuard uses Wi-Fi while the Dual uses Bluetooth and of course the SkyGuard has the ADS-out function and AHRS. With the AHRS both units use only the 978 frequency. Also to get full use of the ADS-B units I would need to subscribe to a more functional GPS app such as the IFly app or the Avolution app which cost about $70 per year.

The question is has anyone investigated these options for use in a Tri-Pacer and what has been your experience?

Tom Anderson
  • ysifly2
    Novice Forumator
    • Jul 2010

I use an ipad as back up... and have been using the BadElf Pro with good results.
    not sure about the others... but the BadElf will also do data logging, and so you can download that overlay on a map your route though I usually use the iFly data log for that.

Haven't done too much thinking about the higher end units yet (with AHRS or ADSB)... one thing for the AHRS to work though I believe you will need to hard mount it somewhere and then calibrate it to determine the level.

Comment

• PeterL
      Keyboard Burninator
      • May 2006

I use the iPad with the Foreflight program, with the XGPS150 model and works great in my Pacer. I have also used it when flying the CRJ, the program keeps up real good with the info that I have on the MFD. However, with the thicker and coated windshields of the CRJ the signal of the GPS is sometimes slow.
      But is great with the low and slow flying that we do....

Peter
      Previous SW President 2011-2013

Comment

• Tom Anderson
        Forum Administrator
        • Nov 2006

Thanks guys for the feed back. I think I'll just get the XGPS150 for now and wait for Oshkosh to see what's new on the ADS-B in and out front. They say the price isn't going to drop much on this stuff, but the capabilities might improve.

Tom

Comment

Working...