WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: My first plane, PA22-150 Tripacer

Default My first plane, PA22-150 Tripacer

I've been driving back n forth from Soldotna to Anchorage (160 miles) since 1989 and had finally had enough. At age 55 in Oct of 2013 I started my ground school while arranging my flight physical appt. Passed them both by beginning of Nov. Wahoo! Nov to Jan searched for a plane, found one, bought it, got it airworthy, found an instructor and Jan 21 had my first flight! Feb 20th I solo'd, June 7th I passed my Checkride! Wahoo! Been flying all summer of 2014 back n forth from SXQ to LHD and am really glad I chose to give up the 6 hour round trip drive for the 1.5 hour round trip flight!

Here's a vid I made of me in my Tripe from Anchorage Lake Hood Strip to Soldotna Airport over Turnagain Arm and the Kenai Peninsula.

http://youtu.be/h1xjt4qn7us

120 MPH, birds eye view, not working about a speeding ticket... PRICELESS!

That's an awesome video, thanks! My wife and I spent some time in Anchorage this summer (June 20ish), so I really enjoyed it.

Wow. That's my dream! One day soon, maybe.

Walt

Very nice video! Congratulations. I'll be in Anchorage next week on business. A lot of GA aircraft traffic overhead every time I go.

Walt! Make it happen!

Cool...great to see another Alaska trike driver.

Well,
    It's been 3 years since I earned my pilots lic. I now have over 500 hours and much more experience. Some of the high points, good or bad, are: I have taken off at -20, I know what 25G45 really means coming down Turnagain Arm, I know what an 86mph headwind feels like, I know what it feels like to think your engine is coming apart and actually make the 180 to the rw, I know what it feels like to be able to fly to/from work a couple times a week... and all in my Tripacer, I affectionately call... the "Enterprise". Wow, what a great time!
    PA-22-150
    My first plane
    Get to fly it to work
    In Alaska
    AWESOME!

Well, 650 hours on the 4th year and over 1k landings later, I STILL LOVE MY Tripacer! I have since started calling it the "Enterprise", cause... the "Flying Milkstool" isn't a very sexy name. Jus sayin. Landed on the beach on the west side of cook inlet quite a few times, landed on some quasi sandy strips several times, and on several hunting strips several times. Thanks to a 74x52 prop and a lot of technique for short field take off's. I've got it down to TOR of less than 500' with 1900lbs on gravel/sand/liken strips at around 40-70F. I did find myself in an 80F at 1900lbs take off and the density altitude made me use up almost 700'+ feet of a 900' strip. Following morning I took off early to avoid that... TOR was 450'. Much better. What a great plane!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9238.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	546.8 KB 
ID:	2779
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9239.jpg  
    PA-22-150
    My first plane
    Get to fly it to work
    In Alaska
    AWESOME!

Incredible! What's your flap technique like on those 500ft rolls at 1900#?