WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: ads-b equipment

Default ads-b equipment

Looking at appareo stratus esg or Lynx i3.
    Has anyone installed either in their piper pa 22? I have been researching both for some time now. Price difference is a lot just for the product. have not checked with local avionics shop for labor to install as yet.
    Dan

I hope people jump into this discussion as I have been eyeballing ads-b equipment also but a lot of it is a mystery to me.
    Dave

Hi Dave,
    I have plans to look closer at the appareo esg stratus. The Lynx i3 is really upscale . Need to check with local installers and see if they will allow me to install the package and sign it off. I Just totally rebuild the fuselage last year and worry damage could occur installing the equipment.Be that mine is a 55 model I would take windscreen out and remove boot cowl to do the install. Not much for videos on appareo right now.The lynx has and few videos on there units. Do like that both packages are fairly complete including antennas etc. Need to make sure the appareo will work with my blind encoder before going for it. Will be buying I pad 4 yet this winter and it states both setups will work with it.
    Dan

Dave,
    I am flying with a Raspberry Pi ADS B in connected to either I-Fly or Avare on a Nexus 7 tablet to get to get the hang of the systems and the data that comes back. What I am finding is that I am looking at the tablet to much and not looking out the window enough. Not Good!! There is so much information there and so many buttons to push, it really diverts ones attention. Using just ADS B in and only looking at the 978 frequency eliminates the high traffic, and with I-Fly you can limit the radius of traffic you see, but it is still distracting. Since I am a fair weather pilot, the weather is OK, but not as good as looking out the window. I am waiting for a reasonably priced system that will utilize my current transponder and encoder for squawk code and pressure altitude and piggy back on the WAAS GPS data for transmit and broadcast via wi-fi the GPS, weather, and traffic to pick up on a hand held devise. The Sky Guard system isn't bad, but it isn't available for certified aircraft yet.

Tom Anderson

Tom,
    What I have found is all this equipment is really neat. My problem is learning how to use it then flying enough with it to keep current using it.
    Dave

Tom,

I am doing some upgrades to my panel currently, how do you like the Raspberry PI set up? does the Nextrad work well?? I use the I-FLY currently I think it's a very intuitive system on my Samsung Tablet. did you build your system from the kits or did you buy it already built. Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank
    I have only flown with the Raspberry Pi with the I-fly software on a Nexus 7 a couple of times on local flights so I am still getting use to the amount of information available. I have been pretty much overwhelmed learning both the I-fly and the Raspberry Pi ADS B in at the same time. I almost like the Avare system a little better because there are not so many options. I have found myself pushing buttons versus looking out the window. That being said, I built the system using the instructions that Dean Dayton wrote and were published in the last issue of the News. The only error I found was the URL for the Stratux home page. The article said it was 192.168.0.10 and it is actually 192.168.10.1. I ordered the parts from Amazon just as he indicated and downloaded the software as he described. In addition, I purchased an Anker 20,000 mah battery to power the unit or use as a backup power source. I have just added a power outlet on the hat shelf in my Tri-Pacer where I will mount the Raspberry PI using Velcro so I won't have to depend on the battery. Be aware that the ADS B in unit only provides some of the traffic (to complex to get into here and now) so you still must be looking. The Next Rad weather that is provided can be up to 20 minutes old, so it is not a good basis weaving through thunder heads. Also, AWAS data can be up to 35 minutes old. Still, this info is better than nothing at all.
    They are working on additions to the Raspberry PI that include both an AHRS and WAAS GPS as well as receivers for both 978 and 1090 broadcast frequencies. I only have the 978 because I have never had my plane over 10,000 ft. where 1090 is used. I have been able to sit outside at the airport and receive both traffic and weather, however, in most cases it doesn't receive data until you are about 2500 to 3000 ft. and have line of sight to the broadcast tower. For a little over $100 it is worth it to me to gain experience with using this data. I am really waiting for a reasonably priced ADS B out solution that can be used in certified aircraft.

Tom

Default ads-b

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
    Frank
    I have only flown with the Raspberry Pi with the I-fly software on a Nexus 7 a couple of times on local flights so I am still getting use to the amount of information available. I have been pretty much overwhelmed learning both the I-fly and the Raspberry Pi ADS B in at the same time. I almost like the Avare system a little better because there are not so many options. I have found myself pushing buttons versus looking out the window. That being said, I built the system using the instructions that Dean Dayton wrote and were published in the last issue of the News. The only error I found was the URL for the Stratux home page. The article said it was 192.168.0.10 and it is actually 192.168.10.1. I ordered the parts from Amazon just as he indicated and downloaded the software as he described. In addition, I purchased an Anker 20,000 mah battery to power the unit or use as a backup power source. I have just added a power outlet on the hat shelf in my Tri-Pacer where I will mount the Raspberry PI using Velcro so I won't have to depend on the battery. Be aware that the ADS B in unit only provides some of the traffic (to complex to get into here and now) so you still must be looking. The Next Rad weather that is provided can be up to 20 minutes old, so it is not a good basis weaving through thunder heads. Also, AWAS data can be up to 35 minutes old. Still, this info is better than nothing at all.
    They are working on additions to the Raspberry PI that include both an AHRS and WAAS GPS as well as receivers for both 978 and 1090 broadcast frequencies. I only have the 978 because I have never had my plane over 10,000 ft. where 1090 is used. I have been able to sit outside at the airport and receive both traffic and weather, however, in most cases it doesn't receive data until you are about 2500 to 3000 ft. and have line of sight to the broadcast tower. For a little over $100 it is worth it to me to gain experience with using this data. I am really waiting for a reasonably priced ADS B out solution that can be used in certified aircraft.

Tom
    Wanted to follow up about ads-b selection.Jist about completed installing stratus esgi.Has gone well.Did remove windscreen and boot cowl as I expected.I added panel mount innercom and upgraded my vor to include glideslope. The radio shop was able to get all the wiring set for me.I was able to do most of install.will finalize by end of next week. Will report more then.

Wanted to report in on my ads-b install.Got all installed past spring.Equipment was Stratus esg (in and out).
    Only issue I have had was missing out on the rebates from FAA.

I'm a fair weather flyer with not current Inst rating looking to install ads-b out only on my Colt. Has anyone looked into the skybeacon wingtip unit. Found a local shop that would install for less than $2400. I have a used Cessna RT359A XPDR and have some concerns about it having issues at some point and having to replace it. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced reliable XPDR to replace it, if I decide to do that

That skyBeacon retails for $1850 and takes about 2 hours to install and do paperwork. The older transponders are selling cheap and several people I know are buying used ones as spares at $200 in case they have an issue. I just installed a skyBeacon on a ragwing Piper and posted about the installation here.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...rd-2020/page37

I just finished installing a Garmin GDL82 in my Tri-Pacer. The GDL 82 is an out only solution. I use a Stratux with a Samsung 8" tablet running Ifly for the in solution. This is something your AP/IA can do. You may have to make up some antenna cables and will have to wire a harness and add some power wires, but that's about it. The advantages are that it is Garmin and should be around for a while, it's relatively low cost (about $2100 or less depending on installation cost and the deal you work with your avionics' shop), and it uses the your existing transponder (digital transponder preferred). I couldn't use the Sky Beacon because I have droop tips that could interfere with the signals. I still need to get my transponder system recertified and do the PAPR flight to claim the rebate. I have flown it once since the install and requested a FAA report which showed all is good.

Tom Anderson

Sounds good. Thanks for the post

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
    I just finished installing a Garmin GDL82 in my Tri-Pacer. The GDL 82 is an out only solution. I use a Stratux with a Samsung 8" tablet running Ifly for the in solution. This is something your AP/IA can do. You may have to make up some antenna cables and will have to wire a harness and add some power wires, but that's about it. The advantages are that it is Garmin and should be around for a while, it's relatively low cost (about $2100 or less depending on installation cost and the deal you work with your avionics' shop), and it uses the your existing transponder (digital transponder preferred). I couldn't use the Sky Beacon because I have droop tips that could interfere with the signals. I still need to get my transponder system recertified and do the PAPR flight to claim the rebate. I have flown it once since the install and requested a FAA report which showed all is good.

Tom Anderson
    What is your reference for the droop tips causing interference with the skyBeacon? I was planning on going this route, but have droop tips as well.

Check the uAvionix website FYI, fiberglass droop tips will not interfere with the skyBeacon.
    Lots of info and pictures in this thread.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...243#post114243

Grant,

I have no specific reference for any interference with the droop tips and the Sky Beacon. I just wasn't sure nor have I seen any literature that it had been tested with any structure so close to it. I also have three position strobes on my plane and I didn't want to interfere with that system which the Sky Beacon would do. I have nothing against Sky Beacon and I'm sure it's a good system. I just can't help thinking about Nav Works and the suit that Garmin has against uAvionics that may take years to resolve. Also, I purchased the GDL-82 before the Sky Beacon was certified. I was able to get a discount off the list price of the GDL-82 from my local avionics shop and did the installation myself so the net cost was a wash. The only things additional I needed to purchase was a new transponder antenna (which I probably needed anyway). some RG400 cable and some connectors. The installation was a little more complicated because of the GPS antenna mounting, but that really wasn't an issue.

Tom Anderson

Steve have you performed a test flight in A, B, C or 30nm from major airport. Reading the installation manual it appears to be an option. What say yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco1960 View Post
    Steve have you performed a test flight in A, B, C or 30nm from major airport. Reading the installation manual it appears to be an option. What say yea.
    stayed out of the air space but received positive test reports. Easier if you are close to a big airport.

I made it to the website at 1:00 EDT for the last of the $500 rebates and actually made it to the reservation reserve page and filled out all the boxes, but I didn't get a reservation for a rebate. I tried again and did the same thing, but it still didn't work. The third time it said all the reservations had been claimed. Too late. It only took three minutes before all the reservations were gone. Guess I will just wait for awhile and fly without it. Unfortunately my airport is just inside the 30 mile ring, so technically, I'll be illegal every time I enter the pattern for the airport.