WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: 8.50-6 Tires for a PA22/20?

Default 8.50-6 Tires for a PA22/20?

Hi,
    My first post on the SWPC Forum.

I just bought N2652P a PA22/20-135 from a former member who had the aircraft based in France. I've moved it to Ireland, and I have given it a lot of TLC to get it good shape. I would like to install the 8.50-6 tires from Aero Classic: http://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires...50-6-4-PLY.asp

I am not going to be able to get a field approval. I would like to get sight of an STC for doing it, but if needs be they can be removed before its next annual. The aircraft conversion to tailwheel config was done in 1985 under STC‑SA45RM with the Gerdes Dual Brakes.

Any leads appreciated.

Thanks,

William

William,
    I will try and give you an answer rather than just try to promote another forum. There are a number of STCs available for the installation of 8.50-6 tires on a 22/20. You can find these on the FAA web site at http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameset or you can go to the SWPC web site if you are a member and go to the Maintenance Data Depot. The Depot has a listing of the STCs applicable to the Short Wings and the database can be searched for key words. If you go the depot, click on STC and then under the “Data Filter “ heading click on “PA22 & Colt” Then go to your browser edit function or settings function and click on “Find on Page”. Type in the word “Tires” and hit enter and that word will be highlighted anywhere it appears on the page. Some of the STC will be for single S/N only, but a number are applicable to your situation. Some of them are SA01015SE, SA02532AT, and SA02672CH. There may be others as well. The FAA STC data base was last updated in 2014, so information on newer STCs is not available. I would contact the owner of the STC to see if it will fit your situation.
    Tom Anderson

Sorry you feel that way Tom. There are some trials and tribulations to the install that is discussed in the thread I linked. My goal was to give hime the info on the STC and the experience of others. I am sorry that information is not available on the Short Wing Piper Club's website but is available on ShortWingPipers.org. As always my intention is to help the airplane owners, not get in pissing contest over websites.

Hi there,
    I asked Univair for the STC to mount the 8.00x6 tires on my Pacer. But, do they fit with the usual wheel pants ??????
    Thanks for your help
    Uwe

Uwe,

With out knowing which wheel pants you have, my guess is that no your wheel pants will not fit over the 8.50x6 tires. Most planes that run tundra tires do not use wheel pants. If you want to keep the wheel pants, I believe you will have to stick to the 600x6 tires.

Tom Anderson

Uwe:

If you are removing the original 800x4 tires and have the original wheel pants I don't think you can use the 800x6 tires. I don't think there is room at the top and front of the wheel pant.