WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Wing inspection plates

Default Wing inspection plates

This is a general rag-wing issue - not specific to the SWPs.

For five years I dealt with loosing one or more inspection plates off the starboard wing of a Citabria almost every flight. Tried every trick in the book but the only sure remedy was duck taping 'em. Only happened on the right wing so it was most likely a fabric issue but never saw it loose one in cruise flight.

Finally got a clue lookin' at some recent pictures taken beside the runway. Slack fabric that only became apparent at high AOA on t/o and landing when everyone's attention is somewhere other than the wing skin.

Follow up with an attentive rear-seat observer confirmed the slack fabric on t/o and landing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insp Plates.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	2733

I have 2or 3 that show signs of moving around on the right wing also on my Pacer. I have some clear packing tape I put on the leading edge of the plate. So far it has fixed the problem and you don't see the tape.

Yeah, 'duck' tape was used as a generic description. Clear tape does look mo' bedda.

A solid 'wart' made of silicon sealer at the front and sides of the affected inspection hole discs MAY solve some situations.

I’m finding something similar on my pacer. Inspection covers are losing screws on the port wing. I also get fabric flutter at certain speeds - a high speed vibration. At the risk of sounding ignorant - is there any way to tighten the fabric? I will try the packing tape initially to keep the screws from backing out, but what is a fix?
    Thanks

So I went for a fly on Monday - but didn’t have any packing tape. I used a small strip of electrical tape over the screws and only lost one screw during my 45 min of circuits.

I have however found the perfect solution! Coloured duct tape. My local Bumper to Bumper has white duct tape. Problem solved for eight bucks!!!

I saw a few years back someone solved this by putting a nutplate to the ribs or something and the inspection. I have not had much luck with searching the forums - but I think this has been discussed at length before. (yep - I have it too - vibration of the ring leaving dark gray smudges to boot!). Like the idea of clear tape - worried about it pulling paint on the next inspection!

This is a thread on the solution I came up with. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ming-Wing-Root

That Steve fellow is a brilliant guy!