WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: ADSB Conversation

Talking ADSB Conversation

I'm new on the forum - was on years ago, but recently updated my membership. I have a 57 pa22/20.

I am not finding any substantive discussion or mention of ADSB in my forum searches. I can't make any sense out of all the commercial ads around for it in the flying mags and sites.

I was hoping to find some folks who had figured this out for their short-wing.

My pa-22/20 has a klx135a navcom and a working kt76 transponder.

An example of this confusion on my part is on the AOPA web site they - have an ADSB "tool" that points you to "solutions" based on answering the questions.

The program takes me to the "Mode S" products and from there to Avidine and the APX340. Then there is a seqeuy to this statement....

"The AXP340, when linked to a suitable GPS receiver, transmits position information to appropriately-equipped ground stations and other aircraft. This provides improved airborne surveillance, provides vital information for airport ground surveillance, and is a key feature of future airspace plans.".....

I am trying to find the most reasonable solution for my small aircraft - and that statement was a dead-end for me, failing to describe just what is "a suitable GPS receiver", and what would really constitute a "solution"....

Any suggestions from the SWPC membership?

I am trying to find out what minimum but legally comprehensive set of DEVICES I will need to constitute an acceptable solution to the mandate.

I went to the Mode S option as I live in Florida and would like to fly to the Bahamas and other places nearby but out of country.

Thanks for any input!

/Don

Hi Don
    Have been planning to install ads-b for sometime now.I chose Stratus ESGI unit from apperro.Putting in now.If you have not done this yet do look at Stratus. Believe it's the right choice.
    Having in and out ability is what I wanted.Slave it to my iPad with foreflight should be good

Installed Appereo ESG transponder this passed November. It replaced a very old transponder. Installed interface cable and mounted my Stratus 2 under the dash. Got a good deal on it and helped AI with install. Got it in before rebate deadline. Works great. No regrets to date.

Iowatripacer
    John

Thanks for the word, guys. I'm at the low budget end and will most likely go with the new garmin GDL 82 and forsake the adsb-in.

Quote Originally Posted by dsimpson View Post
    ...Slave it to my iPad with foreflight should be good
    IF you use Foreflight. As I understand from their site, that is the only App that it will output to. For you that have installed it, is that correct? I almost headed down that path, but I hate the idea of being locked into a single application, especially when I don't use ForeFlight and probably never will because I have a lifetime subscription to Seattle Avionics FlyQ.

Bryan

Hi Bryan - I am on the frugal end of this stuff and was an early adapter of Grand Rapids Tech - I live in Fl and am not equipped (nor do I want to be for the price) to fly IFR. I'm a 70 something and really tend toward blue skies these days. There are a handful of Class Bravo spaces in the southeast though that I'd like to continue to navigate through if need be. I was in the computer business 20 yrs and opted out of IBM to Android. I use an incredible app for my flying called Avare...free so far and way more than I need. Thanks for checking in. I just saw the ad for the Garmin GDL 82 in my EAA weekly on line blurb.

Don,

I'm in your age bracket and have the same outlook on flying and finances as you do. I built a Stratux system for ADSB in at a cost of about $125 that connects to my tablet via wifi and it works great, I can see weather and most traffic. I run both Avare and Ifly for GPS and traffic and weather display. I like Ifly better, but it has a subscription cost for the database. I agree with the GDL 82 as being the best option to date for ADSB out. I'm waiting to see what I can get one for at Oshkosh. I don't want to replace my transponder and encoder if I don't have to and the GDL 82 seems to fit that profile.

Tom Anderson

Hey Tom - I don't have any I-pad/phone - I have Samsung phone & tablet and I'm tickled pink with Avare - more stuff than I could ever use, and free at this time. I'm sure at some point they will have to charge, but I send them a few bucks now and then.

Are you coming to Sun-n-Fun? I've never made it to OK, but maybe someday. I enjoy Sun-n-Fun...it's an hour & half away in my Pacer.

Quote Originally Posted by donsclark View Post
    Hey Tom - I don't have any I-pad/phone - I have Samsung phone & tablet and I'm tickled pink with Avare - more stuff than I could ever use, and free at this time. I'm sure at some point they will have to charge, but I send them a few bucks now and then.

Are you coming to Sun-n-Fun? I've never made it to OK, but maybe someday. I enjoy Sun-n-Fun...it's an hour & half away in my Pacer.
    Don, check out http://stratux.me/ I also built a stratux and love it! The AHRS doesn't work with Avare but the weather and traffic do. This forum is broke bad enough I can't post a picture directly but here are a couple links, hopefully one works.

https://postimg.org/image/hofdvdr5l/
    https://postimg.org/image/tqarpid8p/

For ADS-B out I went with the Garmin 335 after they not only price matched Appareo/Stratus but they even had a $100 rebate on top of it at Oshkosh last year, so it was $100 less! I was able to squeak in under the deadline for the FAA rebate too so I pocketed $600 total. My install was the first by my IA so it took a little longer, he and I split the overage because of his learning curve. Box has worked flawlessly, it replaced a decades old much repaired KT-78A. I also had to pop $240 for a new digital encoder, my old one was built well back in the last century.

My only comment about the GDL-82 or any other "strap on" type of system, if you have an old transponder like mine, or (especially) an old Narco, I wouldn't bother. Replace the whole system. You are going to spend $2500 or so with install costs and if your transponder dies you'll have to spend more total than I did, $4,100. Aviation Consumer has some good reading on the topic if you subscribe.

Jim
    N7743D 1957 PA-22/20-150 "Super Pacer" based 1H0

SWPC 15480

Good food for thought, Jim!

Default Gtx 335

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Don, check out http://stratux.me/ I also built a stratux and love it! The AHRS doesn't work with Avare but the weather and traffic do. This forum is broke bad enough I can't post a picture directly but here are a couple links, hopefully one works.

https://postimg.org/image/hofdvdr5l/
    https://postimg.org/image/tqarpid8p/

For ADS-B out I went with the Garmin 335 after they not only price matched Appareo/Stratus but they even had a $100 rebate on top of it at Oshkosh last year, so it was $100 less! I was able to squeak in under the deadline for the FAA rebate too so I pocketed $600 total. My install was the first by my IA so it took a little longer, he and I split the overage because of his learning curve. Box has worked flawlessly, it replaced a decades old much repaired KT-78A. I also had to pop $240 for a new digital encoder, my old one was built well back in the last century.

My only comment about the GDL-82 or any other "strap on" type of system, if you have an old transponder like mine, or (especially) an old Narco, I wouldn't bother. Replace the whole system. You are going to spend $2500 or so with install costs and if your transponder dies you'll have to spend more total than I did, $4,100. Aviation Consumer has some good reading on the topic if you subscribe.

Jim
    I think the Garmin GTX 335 is a good choice. Although, my first two encoders were faulty.
    After 50 plus hours with no, know, errors.

If you are on a budget and have a KT76A, look at the skyBeacon. It's $1849.00 and uses your current working transponder and its very easy to install. You will need a smart phone or some portable WiFi device to set it up.

I just Installed the uavionix echo UAT on my RV6 and plan to install the SkyBeacon on a TRi-Pacer. The setup is very easy and the suport is great. Here is a link to Uavionix approved model list of aircraft: https://uavionix.com/support/skybeacon/

For the installation on the Tripacer you will need a 3/16" thick spacer, but the installation in very easy. A great solution to an expensive problem.