WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: 3 point harness

Default 3 point harness

Looking for comments on good vendors for these and experience with anchor points on cabin frame.

I recently put in a set of Hooker harnesses in my Tri-Pacer. I didn't use the Y type shoulder harness but used two separate shoulder belts each for the pilot and passenger. I am very pleased with the results. They were easy to install and the way belts wrap around the spar carry through bar just behind the front seats made cutting the slots in the head liner easy and additional reinforcement of the headliner not necessary. Hooker doesn't use a metal clamp around the bar like some other manufacturers do. Also, the four belts reduce any irritation of the neck that is sometimes caused by the Y type harness. Most shoulder harnesses can be installed in the Tri-Pacer with just a log book entry provide no welding or modification of the structure is required.

Tom Anderson

A lot of good information here with pictures of installs, 16 pages in fact. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...s-Installation The issue I have had in the Pacer and Tri-Pacer is having to loosen the shoulder harness to reach the flaps which I don't like to do. The inertia reel works well but cost a bit more money. I hope Tom doesn't get upset that I am linking a thread from another website but I believe the idea is to get people the information they need to make an educated decision and installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
    I recently put in a set of Hooker harnesses in my Tri-Pacer. I didn't use the Y type shoulder harness but used two separate shoulder belts each for the pilot and passenger. I am very pleased with the results. They were easy to install and the way belts wrap around the spar carry through bar just behind the front seats made cutting the slots in the head liner easy and additional reinforcement of the headliner not necessary. Hooker doesn't use a metal clamp around the bar like some other manufacturers do. Also, the four belts reduce any irritation of the neck that is sometimes caused by the Y type harness. Most shoulder harnesses can be installed in the Tri-Pacer with just a log book entry provide no welding or modification of the structure is required.

Tom Anderson

Tom when I checked Aircraft Spruce for the shoulder harness all they show for the pa22 were Y harnesses. Can you help with a good source for the three point?
    And I wasn't clear on your reply. Did you install a single shoulder harness for both front seats, or did you install two for each. I was thinking I would just use a single diagonal shoulder harness for each front seat.
    Do you have a product part number for the harness you used?

You can see in the following photos the shoulder harnesses I put in. I purchased the harnesses from Hooker Harnesses http://hookerharness.com/aviation.html. I purchased them at Oshkosh a number of years ago so I'm not sure what their current prices are. You can also purchase harnesses from Wag Aero https://www.wagaero.com/catalogsearc...ES+AND+REPAIRS or a number of other sources. The installation instructions that Hooker provides are minimal, but it's pretty intuitive. keep in mind you have to purchase new seat belts to go with the harness so the buckle works correctly. The seat belts were actually more expensive than the shoulder harness. The seat belt p/n was 206440 and the shoulder harness p/n was 2H4830-3.
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shoulder Harnesss 2.jpg   Shoulder Harness 3.jpg   Shoulder harness 1.jpg