WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Univair Acquires STC...Raises Price 100%

Angry Univair Acquires STC...Raises Price 100%

Univair has apparently acquired STC-SA02128LA for repair of aileron and flap aluminum bearing blocks from "The Fabric Dr". The Fabric Dr. sold the STC and parts for $139.00 inclusive of shipping. Univair now gets $249.50 not including shipping. A 100% increase in price, for an STC that has the net sum total of about $20 in parts! Crap like this really makes me P/O'ed! I thought Univair was in the business of helping us keep these planes flying!
    With my Pacer, I try to keep everything "just so". But, at $250, my tolerance for play probably just got expanded. It is no secret that in aviation you have to pay to play. But, I know when my laundry is being lowered!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ

Default Do no tdo this

Hey Mark,

The right thing to do is buy the STC from Univair to repair your hinge blocks.

It would be wrong to just go buy a 1/4 inside by 5/16 outside bushing from Reeve airmotive in Anchorage. It would be wrong to then buy a 5/16 reamer to open up the bearing block holes. And for sure don't use a c-clamp to press the busing into the block where the interference fit will set it fast.
    Never mind that that is an old piper fix that has been used for decades to fix loose flap and aileron hinges. Univair has the STC to do that work so by all means you should spend $250 for their kit. Buying the parts yourself for $15 would be wrong so do n't do it.

i agree with Huskytracks! That would just be wrong. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskytracks View Post
    Hey Mark,

The right thing to do is buy the STC from Univair to repair your hinge blocks.

It would be wrong to just go buy a 1/4 inside by 5/16 outside bushing from Reeve airmotive in Anchorage. It would be wrong to then buy a 5/16 reamer to open up the bearing block holes. And for sure don't use a c-clamp to press the busing into the block where the interference fit will set it fast.
    Never mind that that is an old piper fix that has been used for decades to fix loose flap and aileron hinges. Univair has the STC to do that work so by all means you should spend $250 for their kit. Buying the parts yourself for $15 would be wrong so do n't do it.
    Yes, absolutely! One must keep a good sense of what is "right and wrong" when repairing these vintage aircraft!
    Mark Ohlau
    1950 PA-20 N7744K
    KJAQ