WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Auto fuel usage.

Post Auto fuel usage.

I have a 57 Tri-Pacer, N7858D. It is approved for auto fuel usage. Has an O-320 of 150 hp. I am not inclined to use pump gas. Looking for some thoughts and experiences using auto fuel in an O-320. I use auto fuel in my J3 and have had good service.

Quote Originally Posted by J3atp View Post
    I have a 57 Tri-Pacer, N7858D. It is approved for auto fuel usage. Has an O-320 of 150 hp. I am not inclined to use pump gas. Looking for some thoughts and experiences using auto fuel in an O-320. I use auto fuel in my J3 and have had good service.
    I to have Stc for auto fuel but will use it.Plane sits a out 4 months out of the year.Will not let the auto fuel sit in tanks that long.Hate the smell as well. Consider swift fuel?

I have 56 with an Autogas STC. I have been running auto gas in it with no problems for the last 5 years. In fact the lack of lead means I have never had fouled plugs. The O-320-A1B was designed for 80/87 avgas which had about 1/4 the lead of current 100LL.

A few important things. First you must use ethanol free gas. Ethanol will mess up the fuel system in your plane. Second you need to get and follow the Lycoming service bulletin about using autogas. It has instructions on what to do or not do to keep your engine healthy. Last, I am not sure it is needed but I put half a tank or so of 100LL every 3rd or 4th top up to protect the valves in case they need lead. That way the tank never gets to straight autogas.

I have been using auto gas since 1976 without any problems. When the STC came out years later, I bought it. I have been in 100 degree temps, -70 degree temps, as high as 14,500. Never any problems. I do put Marvel Mystery Oil in my gas. My latest bird is a PA 22/20-180 hp. I burn premium 91 octane (without Ethanol) and have since I purchased it in 1997. Never had a compression less than 76. On cross countries I have had to use 100 LL with very negative results with leaded plugs.