PDA

View Full Version : Safe flight indicator

pmills
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm getting ready to wrap up the Pacer wings and need to decide on whether or not to remove one particular wire in the right wing. From what I can tell on drawings 12829 (wing panel assy) and 12629 (system installation - electrical), the right wing came prewired for a safe flight indicator - what I commonly call a stall warning indicator. This wire is only in the right wing, appears to be original (but no markings can be found on it) and appears never to have been connected to anything. It grounds to the spar via a #8 screw through the spar near the lift strut fittings. I am inclined to remove the wire. My question to the group is simple: does anyone use the optional stall indicator? Is there a reason to leave this wire in the wing?
If I leave the wire and cover the wings, I really don't see a practical way to install the safe flight indicator later on.
Opinions?
Pete

pacer7497k
01-22-2007, 12:53 AM
My Pacer has the optional stall warning system and when I get thru rebuilding it, I will reinstall the system. If you do not already have the system, they are rather espensive to purchase new. I believe most shortwings do not have this system...so you really do not need it. Your choice...

sdtripacer
01-22-2007, 08:46 AM
My 1951 TriPacer doesn't have the safe flight indicator.
Mike

pmills
01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to remove the wiring and opt not to install the system. I'm hoping that anyone who flies this bird is not dependent on a buzzer to tell them something important. We have that thing called an airspeed indicator, right?.......

Tom T.
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to remove the wiring and opt not to install the system. I'm hoping that anyone who flies this bird is not dependent on a buzzer to tell them something important. We have that thing called an airspeed indicator, right?.......

Na! Na, It's called seat of your pants!! But I want a stall warner?
Tom T.

BrianK
01-26-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I never could get either my Clipper or Pacer to stall no matter how hard I tried. No power, full power, in a turn, accelerated stall, all my efforts were useless. Have not tried it a full gross though.

I had been thinking of taking some of the washout out of the wings to see if the speed will pick up some. Don't really need a whole lot of washout to prevent a spin when you can't even stall.