PDA

View Full Version : Need source for GE 323 compass lamp

Glen Geller
08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Every day I learn something new about my plane. Like I never realized the compass was supposed to be internally lighted with the nav lights on. Hey, I've only owner her for FOUR FRIKKIN' YEARS!
Anyway, I was informed that the little black knob at 12:00 position on the face of the compass contained a light bulb.
I unscrewed it and there is a very small lamp in there alright. It is a lovely shade of black inside the glass. I gave some gentle tugs and twists but the bulb will not come out of the metal knob. Upon close inspection I see stamped on the face of the knob G E 323. A quick google search and I found it, seems the lamp is integral to the brass knob.
"Minature Lamp (T-125 Knurled Screw Brass Base 30 Volts 525 Max Length)"
You gotta buy the whole thing that way. Upon further searching I find all the suppliers require I open an account just to see the price (that can't be good) and I just hate that kind of crap. I just want to buy a couple and be done with it.

Does anyone out there:
A) KNow a source for GE 323 where you send money and a bulb comes to your mailbox without a bunch of hassle?
B) Have a method to upgrade my little dead GE323 with an LED or some other cool fix?
C) Have a stash of these things frrom which I could buy one or two?

You can reply here and share the good news, or send me a private message with ordering info.
Many thanks,
GG

Geoff Newcombe
08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Preferred Airparts ..... http://www.preferredairparts.com/index.htm

They list antique aircraft bulbs. I would give them a call if nothing else works.

Glen Geller
08-31-2007, 04:09 PM
BINGO!
Thanks Geoff, I phone Preferred Air Parts and they have (only) 500 in stock, list price $14.00, discounted 85% so only $2.10 ea! I had to buy five to meet the $10 minimum.
Guess I'm good for a few years.
Knowlegable, courteous service, nice folks, 1-800-433-0814.

Thanks again, GG

joewcasey
09-01-2007, 12:19 AM
You have a lighted compass? Lucky guy.

Glen Geller
09-01-2007, 02:06 AM
This time next week, I will have a lighted compass.
My pal in the hangar behind me has already claimed one of my "spare" bulbs for his Cherokee.
He keeps a keg in his hangar fridge so I am happy to donate a buld to the PA28.
Mmmmmmm, beer.......

joewcasey
09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Pilots drink?

Glen Geller
10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, flying is very scarey so we gotta ingest some liquid backbone to face the dread and terror that is aviation. The kegerator is the pilots #1 source of courage and hydration.