PDA

View Full Version : Exp Clipped Wing Cub

01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I am building a Clipped wing cub using Colt Wings and tail. I bought a tack welded super-cub frame from Spraker in Florida and will be building some of the smaller parts and buying the rest of the fittings from Alaska Airframes. Will have only one fuel tank and basic cub instruments, and no electrical system except a
lite weight battery and skytec starter on the 0235 to try and keep lite enough for Light Sport Category. You can find Spraker's website if you search under Cub or Super Cub Frames.

Jim Miller

Frankenpacer
01-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Cool Jim!

Along with the idea of keeping things light, the Aviation Products tailwheel and a round titanium "stinger" spring weighs less than 5 pounds (vs the 11+ of the typical Scott 3200). I just did it to my project and it's an easy mod, especially at the "tack welded" stage. There will be pictures posted on the "other" site pretty soon. Keep an eye out if interested...

01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Michael
That is something I would be interested in. How expensive is the parts needed and can you convert back to the regular tailwheel spring easily if you wanted to in the future?

Thanks
Jim Miller

Frankenpacer
01-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Jim,

The tailwheel assembly is about $250.00 for the single fork, 6 inch model, and the rod will be about $105.00 for either the tapered stainless piece (heavier), or a chunk of surplus titanium bar stock.

I have gone "all the way" with mine and welded the socket inside the fuselage for a cleaner, lighter installation, however, you can bolt the socket to the existing spring perch if you want to return to the original configuration.

Here's the "bolt on" install from a Starduster.

http://starduster.aircraftspruce.com/wwwboard/uploads/tailwheel1.jpg

Frankenpacer
01-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Also Jim, concerning your starter, there are some good alternatives to using (paying for) a "certified" starter like the Skytec. You can do a search for "airboat starter" on Ebay and find a bunch of Skytec copies for much cheaper. Also, I have been using an off the shelf Chevy V8 gear reduction starter from Summit Racing mounted to a simple flat plate. My unit weighs about 7 pounds and has turned my IO-360 over for several years without fail. In fact, even with the "little" Odessy 625 and long cables, I'm pretty sure I could pull the plugs and taxi the airplane on the starter alone.

01-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Michael
That tailwheel looks like a very good idea. I would probably do a bolt on for flexibility. I am in the process of building a custom torque tube with only one mast for single control but with two arms so I can use the upper horn and hook-up the alerions like a PA-16 and not have to mod the Colt wing.

Jim

Frankenpacer
01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Aviation Products sells the stainless stingers to go with their tailwheels, or you can look at titanium bar stock from http://www.titaniumjoe.com/. I have a straight piece of .750 for my Starduster (not the one pictured), and .825 for the heavier gross weight Frankenpacer. The tailwheels can be bored out quite a bit, but I only have a reamer up to 3/4 so that's what I used for both. I simply chucked the .825 Ti in my lathe and turned a section down to .750.

01-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Michael
One of my biggest concerns is lack of tail-wheel time. I have a Colt now that I restored by buying a second airframe to restore then when ready xferred wings, engine, radio. That left me with a complete Colt airframe and the reason for the current project. I should have a nice cub with very little invested as compared to trying to buy a similar airplane. How does the Aviation products tailwheel perform compared to your experience with other tailwheels?

Jim

Frankenpacer
01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
My tailwheel experience is also limited. I bought my Hiperbipe with only about 9 hours TW time logged and quickly replaced the Scott 2000 with one of these tailwheels. It was an immediate improvement and is still going strong 150 hours later. I also just removed the 8 inch unit and went with the 4 inch (like the picture) since I fly off pavement. It also works very well - the only noticable change being the increase in noise and roughness transmitted to the fuselage. It's a fantastic tailwheel in my opinion. In fact, the Starduster Too is known to be a "difficult" tailwheel airplane to set up correctly, and every possible tailwheel has been used on the airplane over the decades - this one is widely regarded as "THE" fix.

Overall, they are very positive, light and inexpensive - all good things!