PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauges

idahopacer
03-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Want to install new fuel gauges in my Pacer restoration but the feds aren't sure about installing non-TSO'd gauges in my plane even though the originals wern't TSO'd. Any info I can give them to allow the installation would be a help. Lots of fuel gauges in Aircraft Spruce but not many TSO'd and none for our aircraft that Iv'e found.

taildraggerpilot
03-09-2008, 01:01 AM
deleted...

Geoff Williams
03-15-2008, 08:45 AM
PM me if you use the Aerospace Logic as there are issues with it in our shortwings :mad:

03-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Check to see what CAR-3 and CAM-18 have to say on the issue. I just finished a Gleim on-line IA renewal course and one question involved looking up certification data from the old CAR's tha are actually the controlling regulations for our aircraft. If you check there and can find the applicable regulations the FAA will use that as the controlling specification. Otherwise they will apply the latest regs.

MikeM
03-17-2008, 02:00 PM
PM me if you use the Aerospace Logic as there are issues with it in our shortwings :mad:

Yeah, the damn things dont work!

taildraggerpilot
03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
deleted...

Webmaster
03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Bob; Too often we refer to an FAA form 337 as that for approving a major modification. In fact, it is also used for "Field Approval" which is different. If you want to replace your fuel quantity gauge, and the unit you want is not TSO'd or PMA'd, an avenue to take is to find a gauge that will work, and then get the manufacturer to write for you a "Statement of Conformity". Within the statement of conformity he states that the unit is SUBSTANTIALLY IN COMPLIANCE with the TSO for fuel quantity gauges, he may cite or include some test data, or reference the similiarity of his unit with another unit maybe not even of his manufacture. You then submit that Statement of Conformity to the FAA with a FAA form 337, along with all other data you can find to substantiate the validity of the claim that you feel it is suitable for use in a certified aircraft. From this submittal, you are getting Data Approval which is the FAA saying you have proven to their satisfaction the capability of the gauge. With that approval you take the form to an A/I to install the gauge and sign off the installation and submit the 337 copy to the FAA. Sometimes it works and some time it doesn't, the more factual data you have and the more information you have and the more knowledgeable of the operation you are, the better chance you have of convincing the FAA that you should be treated as a subject matter expert and as such get approval. You have nothing to lose by trying.

03-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I used Stewart Warner gauges in my 1974 rebuild of my 1950 Pacer.
Of course there were no original gauges. I added sending units and mounting rings and wired the things up. Field approval on a 337 completed the paperwork. At the time there were no issues from the FAA who inspected the aircraft. Of course this was during a kinder and gentler period and an inspector would use his knowlwdge and experience to think about the requested work and not send everything to engineering and DARs.

idahopacer
03-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Things seem to be going my way, our shops PMI, (the local FAA) thinks there won't be a problem seeing as the originals were not PMA'd but I'll be checking out the CAR 3 and CAM 18 to get more info for him. I saw in the Chief cataloge that the Mitchell gauge is PMA'd but not for Piper's and UMA's 1 1/4" has a TSO but not mentioned on the 2 1/4" :confused: I'll keep you informed

Gilbert Pierce
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
The problem using after market gages in our Shortwings is the 30 ohm, tank full, resistance of the sending unit. You will need a gage that will work with this or you will have to replace the sender also.

andya
03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Things seem to be going my way, our shops PMI, (the local FAA) thinks there won't be a problem seeing as the originals were not PMA'd but I'll be checking out the CAR 3 and CAM 18 to get more info for him. I saw in the Chief cataloge that the Mitchell gauge is PMA'd but not for Piper's and UMA's 1 1/4" has a TSO but not mentioned on the 2 1/4" :confused: I'll keep you informed

this is interesting, a PMI with some brains and a logical thought process, like to see how this comes out. Which FSDO?

idahopacer
03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Boise FSDO, the mans also building an RV

idahopacer
03-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I'll be replacing the senders too as they have a glitch at about 1/2 tank

rexandkim
03-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know of a place to have a fuel gauge overhauled?

Kim

Gilbert Pierce
03-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Keystone Instruments Inc. Lock Haven, Pa. 570-748-7083 rebuilt my gages and calibrated them. They did a great job.

I had previously had it done by Rudy's Instruments in Mena, AR. When I got it back from Rudy it looked like he had pried the case apart with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. The caibration was off. Properly wired and zero ohms resistance (short) across the sender lead to ground should read zero and 30 ohms across the sender lead to ground should read full. It didn't.

GalaxyDrvr
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
C'mon, we need more detail than this. I'm looking at putting one in a Colt (with 2 wing tanks) and need to know if they are junk or are worth using. If someone has a relatively verifiable history with these that says they aren't worth the money, then by all means please share with the rest of us!
Thanks,
Neal Thompson

idahopacer
04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Well after searching the UMA web site I found some TSO'd, 2 1/4", 0-30 ohm gauges for $175.00 ea. Being leagle ain't cheap. :(

05-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Bob
I am in the process (337 already approved) installing PA-18 Sight Fuel Gauges in my Colt.
Now I will have a system that you can depend on to tell you exactly how much fuel you have and little to go wrong in the future.

Jim Miller

idahopacer
05-09-2008, 12:33 AM
That does sound like a foollproof system barring a leak, I did find some TSO'd gauges from UMA that I purchased and am finishing up the new insturment panel layout. One more thing to cross off the to do list, still long but getting shorter. :)
Bob Didisse