PDA

View Full Version : Who can remove flight instruments?

cwo4ret
06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi out there,

I want to rebuild my mag compass and remove my vacuum turn and bank and replace it with an electric one.

I was told that an owner operator or and A&P could not sign it off. I have looked through the FAR's but have not mannaged to turn anything up.

Anyone know anything about this. Thanks

andya
06-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Mag compass is legally an instrument shop activity. According to Bill O'Brian in an IA seminar couple years back, 43.13 xx xxx was to be changed and the mag compass could be rebuilt by an A&P, but I have not seen it come about as yet.

cwo4ret
06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
OK, thanks. That covers rebuilding the compass.

If I remove the vacuum turn and bank and replace it with an electric turn and bank, who would I get to inspect the work and sign it off.

I am a work in progress. I take a lot of notes.

5753H
06-08-2008, 07:49 PM
If your plane came with the vacuum unit originally, you'll have to get FAA field approval to change to an electric one. That includes a study of the electrical system to show that the addition of the new unit won't overload or exceed the rating of your electrical distribution system. Normally this is 80% of the generator/alternator rated continuous output. After the feds stamp the 337 you'll need an IA to sign the aircraft return to service block. A pain but that's what it will take.

cwo4ret
06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
OK, thanks. The Log Book shows the Turn and Bank and a 2 inch venturi was installed in 1981. So it does not look like it was factory installed.