PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Piper Clipper to be Auctioned in Meriden CT

gscharpf
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
I read about an auction of 2 abandoned aircraft including a 1949 Piper Clipper in our local paper and thought that perhaps some of your members might be interested. The first page of the legal notice follows below and I have attached the entire legal notice as a PDF file. Also a link to the newspaper article is here:

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/article_5887590e-9a95-11e1-ab47-0019bb2963f4.html

Legal Notice
City of Meriden, CT
The City of Meriden, CT will sell at public auction two aircraft deemed abandoned at
the Meriden-Markham Municipal Airport, 213 Evansville Avenue, South Meriden, CT
on Friday, June 1, 2012 beginning at 12:00 Noon in accordance with C.G.S. Section 15-
76, Chapter 266, Aeronautics. Terms and conditions of the auction are available at the
Office of the City Clerk, 142 East Main Street, Meriden, CT 06451, and at the Airport
during normal business hours. The aircraft deemed abandoned are as follows:
1) Piper PA-38-112, AID #N9406T; and
2) Piper PA-16, AID #N5370H
Ron Price
Interim Airport Manager

Doodahdave
06-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Well, I bought N5370H at the auction last Friday. No engine/prop and no radios. No logbooks either.

Anyone been in contact with Tony Philpin aka Anthony P. Rugens, the previous registered owner? The last posting I could find of his on SWPC forums dates from 2001. He seems to be keeping a low profile.

I'm just looking to buy the logbooks or try to reconstruct the history of the airframe as I have a 0-235 from another Clipper.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

rwdurham
06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I did some research on this plane and didn't come up with much. If you google his name there are some articles and mention of him out of New Britain, CT. There are some other Rutgen families living in the same area but unknown if they are related. Good luck!

Doodahdave
06-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Several of the members of EAA Chapter 27 helped me take the wings off of N5370H and load it into a truck for the long trip home to Wisconsin, and Jim recommended I get in touch with the A&P who operated out of the Meriden Municipal Airport.

Thanks again to the great EAA members up at Meriden Chapter 27! They were very friendly and helpful and I don't know if I could've gotten N5370H home without them!

Jim believed that it was the A&P who removed the engine and prop and radios to sell since Tony wasn't paying his storage fees. Jim believed the mechanic was still in the NorthEast plying his trade. I just have to get his name from Jim and I'll see if he knows what happened to the logbooks!

But N5370H arrived yesterday and is now resting amidst my collection of N5708H Clipper parts. I'm starting the paperwork soon and hope to have it flying by late summer, early fall.

Dave

Kurts
06-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Congrats on the new bird. You should take pictures along the way and keep this thread updated with your progress, would be interesting to see.

Kurt

TJA
04-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Hi there, My father and I were wondering about his old Clipper over the weekend N5370H. Saw this post and how Mr. Godec had given it the love it deserved and just wanted to offer David a chance to fill in some of the lost history on this aircraft. My father owned it back in the 70's. He loved nothing better than slipping the little Clipper into Brownsburg airport and making a great landing. Of all the airframes he flew over the years the Clipper was his favorite. If anyone knows David please let him know if hes interested we would be happy to help. Its special to me also as I learned to fly in this plane and have good memories of my Father and I flying it around.
Tom