PDA

View Full Version : Panel lights

Kurts
06-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm going to put this here because it kind of has to deal with Aircraft Instrumentation, it illuminates it.

Here is a shot I took last night of my panel, bathed in the red glow of Tom Anderson's excellent LED kit. I could probably take a picture of it illuminated by the stock bulbs, but the red light they produce probably wouldn't be visible.

I highly recommend this addition.

Kurt

bndbelle
07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
That looks great !!! How much did Tom's kit cost ? I think the only thing you need to add is a new glareshield....wink, wink !!!
That really does look nice !!!

Bruce

MN_flyer1
07-03-2013, 01:12 PM
I think Tom's kit maybe on the shortwing store. It was around $50 when I purchased it 3 years ago. The stock dimmer does not work with it though.

Tim

Kurts
07-03-2013, 08:07 PM
It does dim a little with my stock dimmer, relying on the light bulb in the compass to provide resistance, but even so it doesn't dim much. The picture above is at full dim, btw.

Now an issue or two ago we ran an article in the News about a new dimmer that would work just fine.

After trying to fly with the stock bulbs turned all the way up I found it was possible, but the light they put out was marginal. They did however get very hot, an added bonus on those cold winter night sorties... ;)

My next purchase would be an LED bulb to replace the overhead cabin dome light, as it too draws needless current and gets hot.

What's that you say? But Kurt, you don't really fly it much at night? That's totally beside the point!

Kurt

Tom Anderson
07-04-2013, 04:53 PM
The light kits will be available in the store in a few weeks. Larry and I have discussed it and I will be forwarding a batch of light kits to him when we get home from the convention or as soon as I can get them together. My recommended price to Larry is $55. Because the stock dimmer doesn't work with just the LEDs on the circuit, I recommend that at least one incandescent light be on the dimmed circuit. This can be the compass light or other instrument light or radio light. More than on is better than none. The other option is to install an Max Pulse /Max Dim dimmer. http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/shortwingpiper.htm. These dimmers have to be put in as a minor alteration or with a field approval. A sample field approval 337 is available on their web site. We are hoping to have these dimmers available in the store very soon as well.

Tom Anderson

Kurts
07-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Perfect answer. Thanks Tom! :)

Kurt

pacer44k
07-09-2013, 02:59 AM
They were the most popular raffle prize at the convention banquet! My number was not drawn though. Going to have to have a lil' chat with Myrna's daughter!

PeterL
07-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Can the dimmer sw just be a logbook entry?

PeterL
07-11-2013, 10:29 AM
How about just light lights Tom, red is harder to see with.

Peter

Tom Anderson
07-11-2013, 02:12 PM
My opinion as an IA is that it is a minor alteration which requires only a log book entry signed by an IA. This was confirmed after a conversation with one of the supervising inspectors at the local FSCO after I was turned down for a 337 field approval by one of his underlings. Eddy Trimmer was able to get a 337 field approval in Alaska but I believe he was also told that it could be a minor alteration. The minor alteration route really puts the responsibility on the IA signing it off versus the inspector signing the 337. I intend to put one in as a minor alteration with a log book entry.

As to your following post about the red LEDs, I do have some white LEDs that work the same as the red. My intention with the red was to match the standard lighting in most GA aircraft and minimize eye dilation. In most cases the red LEDs are bright enough you won't have a problem seeing, especially when compared to the original Grimes lights. I do have some white LEDs available. I had not intended to make the white lights available in the store to minimize any confusion, however, if white lights are desired, get in touch wit me off line and I am sure we can make some accommodation.

Tom

PeterL
07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I have many hours flying the Fokker F-28 and from the '50 and early '60's cockpit setups, I find that the red lights were very trying on the eyes. But maybe its just me.

jwbruce
07-12-2013, 11:36 AM
My opinion as an IA is that it is a minor alteration which requires only a log book entry signed by an IA. This was confirmed after a conversation with one of the supervising inspectors at the local FSCO after I was turned down for a 337 field approval by one of his underlings. Eddy Trimmer was able to get a 337 field approval in Alaska but I believe he was also told that it could be a minor alteration. The minor alteration route really puts the responsibility on the IA signing it off versus the inspector signing the 337. I intend to put one in as a minor alteration with a log book entry.

As to your following post about the red LEDs, I do have some white LEDs that work the same as the red. My intention with the red was to match the standard lighting in most GA aircraft and minimize eye dilation. In most cases the red LEDs are bright enough you won't have a problem seeing, especially when compared to the original Grimes lights. I do have some white LEDs available. I had not intended to make the white lights available in the store to minimize any confusion, however, if white lights are desired, get in touch wit me off line and I am sure we can make some accommodation.

Tom

I was told in my training days that the red lights won't ruin you night vision. That was their purpose.

Jim Hann
07-12-2013, 04:06 PM
I was told in my training days that the red lights won't ruin you night vision. That was their purpose.

Yes, but they can cause eye strain for some. I'm in the same boat as Peter, I spent a lot of time flying at night in Barons and Aerostars, the white lights turned down were easier for me to see than the red lights. Probably the only time the red would be really beneficial is if you are flying into a really dark field (unlit or low intensity runway lights). All of the lights in our Boeings (and the Embraers, Jetstreams, and Learjets I flew in the past) are white with dimmers.

TomEdmondson
10-20-2013, 06:44 PM
I just got my "interior/light kit" this week from the Piper Short Wing Club store and had them installed in less than 5 minutes! Instructions were dead-on easy and the best news was my current dimmer switch dims them perfectly. I put in my Kennon sun shields to get the interior dark enough and turned the panel lights on and they worked just as the photo in the previous post shows and I could dim to my liking. THANK YOU ALL for including the photos and feedback. I'm saving the old lens/cap for 'historic parts drawer' not tossing them.

Now I got my strobe nav lights and these panel lights and can finally take my 'new' (old) plane night flying.

If anybody 'on the fence' deciding to purchase there panel lights, JUST DO IT they are worth every penny and I'm not kidding when I state they were swapped out and new ones in within 5 minutes!

PeterL
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Tom, since you have LED interior lights, the next best thing to add is the MaxPulse Dimmer sw. Joe the owner made a dimmer sw just for the Short wing family of planes. I have one installed and it's great. The purpose is dual mode on one dimmer pod, it controls both the Nav lights and dimming of the map/compass lights. Have the pod is off the "OFF" stop the nav lights come on full strength and as the intensity increases so does the cockpit lights.

This could be just a logbook entry.

http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/shortwingpiper.htm

MicroDim UNIT
P/N 9100-001-J Revision SWP
5 to 35 VDC, 0-7.5 A per channel, Control over 224 Watts per channel in a .9" Inch square by 1.9" Package.

Complete compact, light weight, powerful, solid state Dimmer and switch controller. Purchase
The MicroDim Rev. SWP has all the functions you will need. Dimming on one channel and switching on channel 2 for the position lights/navigation lighting is activated any time there is output on the dimming channel.

Features:

DUAL CHANNEL control of Lighting - P/N 9100-001-P Rev. SWP
one dimming channel and one +V switching channel.
Smallest all self contained Dimmer/switch Lighting control
For Dimming on one channel and control of other switched lighting, position/navigation, relays, egress lighting, etc.
No outboard heat sinks, boxes, rheostats, or other packages
RTCA/DO-160G SEC 21: RFE Qualified
Incandescent lights, LED landing lights, HID
UMA dimmer, EL, LED Glare shields, overheads, Avion Glare shield dimmer
Low level LED lighting suitable for NVG
Hundreds of DC Lighting Control applications
Assembled Totally in the USA.

Peter

PeterL
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Tom, since you have LED interior lights, the next best thing to add is the MaxPulse Dimmer sw. Joe the owner made a dimmer sw just for the Short wing family of planes. I have one installed and it's great. The purpose is dual mode on one dimmer pod, it controls both the Nav lights and dimming of the map/compass lights. Have the pod is off the "OFF" stop the nav lights come on full strength and as the intensity increases so does the cockpit lights.

This could be just a logbook entry.

http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/shortwingpiper.htm

MicroDim UNIT
P/N 9100-001-J Revision SWP
5 to 35 VDC, 0-7.5 A per channel, Control over 224 Watts per channel in a .9" Inch square by 1.9" Package.

Complete compact, light weight, powerful, solid state Dimmer and switch controller. Purchase
The MicroDim Rev. SWP has all the functions you will need. Dimming on one channel and switching on channel 2 for the position lights/navigation lighting is activated any time there is output on the dimming channel.

Features:

DUAL CHANNEL control of Lighting - P/N 9100-001-P Rev. SWP
one dimming channel and one +V switching channel.
Smallest all self contained Dimmer/switch Lighting control
For Dimming on one channel and control of other switched lighting, position/navigation, relays, egress lighting, etc.
No outboard heat sinks, boxes, rheostats, or other packages
RTCA/DO-160G SEC 21: RFE Qualified
Incandescent lights, LED landing lights, HID
UMA dimmer, EL, LED Glare shields, overheads, Avion Glare shield dimmer
Low level LED lighting suitable for NVG
Hundreds of DC Lighting Control applications
Assembled Totally in the USA.

Peter