PDA

View Full Version : Hi to one and all

Frank
07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
I am a private pilot, not current but getting back into it, while my girlfriend works on her sport pilot license, and then probably on to private pilot. I am also an A&P, also not current, and attorney, not practicing. My real job is as a transportation economist (not a euphemism). I first soloed in a Colt, and I am thinking about getting a Tripacer, although not having easy access to hangars here, near Annapolis, is a real issue.

portouwl
08-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Welcome aboard.

pacer44k
08-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Greetings, Frank!
First off...hoping that you can find a solution to the lack of hangar (read that AFFORDABLE hangar space, I am sure) in a convenient locale for you. Since you already have experience in a SWP, you already know what great planes they are.
There are many good SWP's on the market currently, and I hope that you find a nice one. Since you are an A&P, that will be a boon to keeping it going once you get it. When you do find the right plane, make sure that you order up the Drawings, and Rigging CD's, which are available through the SWP Store. They are a huge help in maintaining these classic planes, and in my opinion are required equipment.

Frank
08-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Greetings, Frank!
First off...hoping that you can find a solution to the lack of hangar (read that AFFORDABLE hangar space, I am sure) in a convenient locale for you. The only airport I know of around here where I could stand a chance of finding a hangar at any price is W18. Unfortunately, that airport is hanging on by less than a thread. The land has been sold, and the airport even had a closing notice last year, which was rescinded. Other than that, nothing around here even has available hangars.

W29 is supposed to get some new hangars, and I will see if I can jump on that. It might make sense to buy a plane, tie it down and do what I can to protect it, then get a hangar as soon as they are built. I realize the risk to tied down planes though. At W29 there is a Colt that is in sorry shape tied down on the ramp. It has peeling paint on its wings and a messed up interior. I do not think it likely that Colt will ever be airworthy again.

A plane does not need to be fabric covered to suffer from outdoors though. W29 has a small row of spam cans, including a 170, an AA-5 (not sure of plain, A, or B) and a couple of others, all with obvious airframe issues from exposure. The price delta at W29 is still about $250/month. You can buy a new paint job every five or six years very easily on the savings. Even a recover might not be out of the question.

I guess that would be food for another thread on how much it costs to recover an airplane versus painting one. I googled that and have a good idea that recovering costs about $5 K for supplies and from 7-13 K for labor, largely based on differences in labor rates and productivity. Painting an aluminum airplane in the competing class, e.g. PA-28-160, probably runs from 5K-10K. The delta is then probably between 7K and 10K. It is not clear the interval is greater or lesser for paint jobs as opposed to recover jobs. I have an unsubstantiated hunch that Poly-Fiber might last longer exposed to the elements than a standard paint job on aluminum.

What is starting to get frightening is the prospect of getting a spam can and finding serious corrosion. Some PA-28s have spar corrosion inside their wings. OTOH, Cessnas seem prone to corrosion inside the cabin, at or near the wing carry through fittings. Some of the pictures of carry throughs for 177s and 210s, with their cantilever wings, are also frightening.

It is not like getting a spam can gets you off the hook from increased costs when you tie it down outside.

jwbruce
08-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Why don't you approach one of your airports of interest and see if they will lease you a certian area of the ramp, like a 50x50 square away from everyone else. Maybe you could spring for something from fabricstructrure or similar, and then recoupe your cost by renting out space to other like minded airplane owners who would otherwise be stuck out on the ramp. The airport would be getting an upgrade as well as the tied down community of the airport.

pacer44k
08-07-2013, 01:07 PM
At W29 there is a Colt that is in sorry shape tied down on the ramp. It has peeling paint on its wings and a messed up interior. I do not think it likely that Colt will ever be airworthy again.

Kurt S. and I have spent lots of time seeking out examples such as this. The sad fact is that there are many SWP's that at one time were fine aircraft, that are now suffering the same fate.
We need to have a SWP Rescue group?
I really wonder if we could get more examples back in the air if the FAA made it possible for owners to do more of their own work?