PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!!!

rblue
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Hey all!! I remember a long time back, I had read an article about a short wing Piper (perhaps Flying mag? I'm not certain) but the point is, it sparked my interest in these. My grandpa had a J-3, so perhaps my interest is genetic. ;)

At any rate, I began attempting to learn to fly when I was 15. I quickly realized that I had no money, and really it would've been handy to have.
Now that I'm a bit older, I do have some to work with. So I'm in touch with an instructor out of Kokomo, IN where I look forward to killing this thing off. Currently I have zero logged hours, just a lot of screwing around and ground school. I'm pleased that so much has been retained in my mind.

So that brings me to my question... I had initially thought this was insane, but it appears to not be the case. My goal of learning is to own, so why not buy and learn on that? The Tri-Pacer fits my mission perfectly, it seems. This appears to be a plane I can learn on, and keep for cross-country trips. I'm not real keen on buying a trainer and hoping to sell.

Anyone want to talk me down from buying one? I have a general rule that whatever vehicle I own must have an accompanying forum. Why break that tradition with aircraft ownership?

Also, anyone in Indiana or nearby who'd be willing to take me up on a ride? I'd totally pay for fuel.

-Rob Blue

rblue
01-22-2014, 02:33 PM
One more question...
What if the deal I find has droop tips? ;)

rwdurham
01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Welcome. They are great airplanes for the money and have owned two of them. They are safe and docile aircraft with an incredible history and the forums are loaded with good information. I certainly won't try to talk you out of one. If the one you find has "droop tips" you will probably hear from one of the forum members. He is a little opinionated about droop tips. There is another forum at www.shortwingpipers.org that gets a little more activity and more people posting. This one has good information as well but not as current. My only advice is to become WELL INFORMED on the airplane, maintenance and flight characteristics, and for certain have a pre-buy inspection by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck with your search and your lessons!

rblue
01-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks!! I will certainly take all this advice.
My goal is to first track down hangar space (haha yeah good luck, right?) if at all feasible. Then populate that space with the right PA-22. ;)

I MIGHT have a good tube and fabric AP, but we'll see - gotta check him out.

Kurts
01-23-2014, 01:32 AM
I would never hold droop tips against anyone. But they do have to fly at the back of the formation. Wayyyyyy back. After all, you're judged by the company you keep. ;)

These are great little airplanes and as long as you find a good one and are happy with it don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Perfect as trainers or cross country machines, even if some are flawed by having an under developed wheel tagging along behind.

Best thing to do is go for a ride, then start looking for a good airplane. Get a thorough pre-buy done by someone who knows the airplane, and then the sky's the limit. Good luck, and welcome aboard! :)

Kurt

Troy Hamon
01-23-2014, 01:37 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the only thing better than a PA-22 is the time spent flying it...good luck getting a good one and have fun.

PeterL
01-25-2014, 11:00 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the only thing better than a PA-22 is ..............good luck getting a good one and have fun.

Pa-20 of course.........

Jim Hann
01-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Pa-20 of course.........
Hmm, Tri-Pacer wings and 150 hp??? It's a what? :cool:

rblue
01-26-2014, 05:49 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the only thing better than a PA-22 is the time spent flying it...good luck getting a good one and have fun.

I'm positive I can buy one without ever having ridden in one before, and I'll love it, but I still need to track down a local who'd be willing to give me a ride.

Oddly, without even touching one before, I still am basically committed to buying one. I'm having a rough time waiting. :)

rblue
01-26-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm not opposed to a PA-20, but I'll probably wind up with a 22.

rblue
01-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Sounds like I may be going down the right path. I'm looking for a plane that will be a decent trainer, but I also don't intend to sell.
I want something that crosses over well beyond training... These planes seem like they'll fit my mission perfectly.

How about cross-country comfort? I live in Indiana and have family in North Carolina I hope to visit, as well as family in Kansas. I've seen some long flights out of these things, but how realistic am I being to hope to fly 400-500 nm (obviously not in one leg).

Thanks all!!

Troy Hamon
01-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Everybody is different. We use our PA-22 to travel a fair bit, mostly 300 miles to Anchorage for access to the road system or the big airport. Some folks don't have the mindset to travel via general aviation, which has to include allowance for weather delays and flexibility. I would happily use my PA-22 for your intended trips. Others maybe not so much. Depends on the person.

rblue
01-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Everybody is different. We use our PA-22 to travel a fair bit, mostly 300 miles to Anchorage for access to the road system or the big airport. Some folks don't have the mindset to travel via general aviation, which has to include allowance for weather delays and flexibility. I would happily use my PA-22 for your intended trips. Others maybe not so much. Depends on the person.

Well I'm pretty much a sadist, so I think I'd enjoy long trips. ;)
I'm thinking that it may be fun to cut down my fairly frequent 10 hour trips a hair, if at all possible... And if it doesn't? I'm still in the market.

Thanks to all who've replied. I'll probably have to await warmer weather, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on this today... definitely frustrating. ;)

pacer44k
01-27-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm not opposed to a PA-20, but I'll probably wind up with a 22.

Life is a compromise! ;-) No matter what model SWP you end up with, just make sure you get the best one you can! I love my PA-20, and would not part with it unless it was a dire situation. You may see me send some good natured barbs to a few friends who are nose wheel challenged. But, I believe that all SWP's fall into the "best bang for the bucks" category, and you will enjoy having one!
Good luck!

Gilbert Pierce
01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
I have flown my Clipper from Memphis to Georgian Bay; Kingston Ontario to Memphis; Memphis to Spearfish,SD and SPF to Memphis; Ogden, UT to Memphis each in one day as well as four days to Fairbanks,AL from Memphis and five days from Anchorage to Memphis. I have Temper Foam seat cushions and a well rigged airplane which makes it doable. Nineteen round trips from Memphis to Sun n Fun in Lakeland, FL; about 5 hours each way. About 7or 8 trips to OSH, four and half hours each way.
I consider my Shortwing to be a cross country flyer. With back the seat removed I haul all my Wife's stuff with no problem. All VFR.
I typically plan on 2 to 2.5 hour legs but max 3 hours.

Kurts
01-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Life is a compromise! ;-) No matter what model SWP you end up with, just make sure you get the best one you can! I love my PA-20, and would not part with it unless it was a dire situation. You may see me send some good natured barbs to a few friends who are nose wheel challenged. But, I believe that all SWP's fall into the "best bang for the bucks" category, and you will enjoy having one!
Good luck!

Glad you wouldn't part with 44K unless it was a dire situation, Mark. But should the stress of being a professional pilot finally get the best of you and send you to the great crew lounge in the sky, I've asked your wife to ensure your Will spells my name correctly next to the Pacer line item. ;)

Traveling in a Short Wing, even a slow, underpowered Colt is fun and relaxing. I've flown mine from northern CA to Vegas, and St George and Ogden Utah, plus north to Seattle and the San Juan islands, and points in between. It's a comfortable airplane to pass the time in and I've done legs as long as 4:45. By that time though, I'm ready to get out and walk around a bit.

You won't regret the purchase. Also check out shortwingpipers.org for more technical info and quick replies than you can shake a stick at. This board has some good folks but it's a little sleepy around here.

Let us know what you find, I'm sure you'll get lots of good input and help.

Kurt

PeterL
01-28-2014, 01:08 AM
...............send you to the great crew lounge in the sky, I've asked your wife to ensure your Will spells my name correctly next to the Pacer line item. ;)

AH, your true colors are showing......Tailwheel guy after all.

Peter

pacer44k
01-28-2014, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=Kurts;28640].......snipped...... I've asked your wife to ensure your Will spells my name correctly next to the Pacer line item. ;)

Traveling in a Short Wing, even a slow, underpowered Colt is fun and relaxing. I've flown mine from northern CA to Vegas, and St George and Ogden Utah, plus north to Seattle and the San Juan islands, and points in between. It's a comfortable airplane to pass the time in and I've done legs as long as 4:45. By that time though, I'm ready to get out and walk around a bit.
/QUOTE]

WOW! I think i better keep my head on a swivel!

I have flown my Pacer from CA to Odessa, TX, and numerous times to ID, Las Vegas, and Portland. A SWP is a good 2.5-3 hour leg plane, and with 36 gal of fuel will go 4 hours with VFR reserves.

rblue
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks all!! I'm extremely excited about bringing one home... I just have to keep a cool head and ensure I find a good tube and fabric A&P (I actually don't know one... I thought I did, but I don't ;)

So my real challenge is not getting so excited I buy something busted.

I found one for 19,500 that interests me, and another for 22,500 - both seem very complete. I know I can spend less, and I can spend more...
But these fit my budget. First plane, I'm certainly not looking for the sort of project where I MUST do A, B, and C to make it airworthy - but I'm game to fix and break things. ;)

Oddly, I have no qualms about buying a plane from 1960, but I'd think twice about a car purchase.

Troy Hamon
01-28-2014, 01:36 PM
But cars don't have required annual inspections.

I have bought two PA-22's from the low end of the price range. In both cases I knew it was going to likely lead to work needed along the way, but it was really all the money I had to work with for purchase. The nicer the airplane you get at purchase, the less it will cost you in the long run. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't look at the inexpensive ones, but don't write off something that is a little more if you can afford it. Check it out first. If the plane is $5,000 more but is in $20,000 better shape...(think engine overhauled in last three years or airframe overhaul and fabric last three years...) then you should be seriously considering that. Probably even if it is $10K more and in $20K better shape...

rwdurham
01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Completely agree with Troy. I bought a cheap one ($17k) and I bought an expensive one ($29k). By the time I got through with the cheap one, I had more in it than the expensive one and actually made more on the sale of the cheap one than I did on the expensive one. Well, let me clarify that and I hate to be the fly in the pudding, but if you ever think you will get out of an airplane what you put into it, you will be sorely disappointed. My dad, a WWII, Korea, and early Vietnam pilot and GA pilot, told me, "Son, instead of buying an airplane, go borrow as much money as you can and take it home. Dig a hole in the yard, put the money in it, poor fuel oil on it, set on fire. You'll be money ahead." I didn't agree with Dad because flying holds a certain value to me and I didn't have 25000 hours of flight time to blur my vision. All I'm saying is research, listen, look, pre-buy, buy smart and get as mechanically sound an airplane with the newest fabric and paint and lowest time engine you can. Check all AD's and SB's. You will love the airplane. There are numerous folks on here that are much smarter than me that will help you anyway they can.

PeterL
01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
How true Troy,

Rob, I would talk to others and ask what they like to have in their 22's, ie: type of engine, avionics, STC's, equipment, etc. From this draw up a wish list and go shopping. Plus, think about a few years ahead and the changes that you may have to make to keep it airworthy. Or, items that you may have to spend on that you would like to have. Think about resale-- "can I sell this for what I need?"

Make sure that all mod's are legal and maintenance is kept up. I have found that some planes, (not just SW's of course), what is written in the log books may not be the same on the plane itself, and what is on the plane is not recorded.

Most important, have your AMP checks it out fully. case in point, a fellow purchased a Colt that was changed to a TW and an O-320 installed, only to find out that this engine was from and experimental and not certified any more. Engine change.......... big bucks.

Are you a builder or a flyer? You may take several years building and not fly.

Peter

What do I want??

O-320
good fabric (meaning recently done)
nice paint
good radio's
interior- nice

rblue
01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
But cars don't have required annual inspections.

That's precisely what I'm talking about, but I truncated it in my head. :)

I'm hoping that ~20k can find me one that's airworthy and doesn't truly NEED much, at least not for awhile. I'd rather nickel - dime the thing rather than needing to drop a lot more... I found one for $35k that I bet should be basically a new aircraft, and it looked great (and sold), and was extremely tempting.

edit: meant to say ~25k - I've changed my opinion about one in particular airplane, until I hear back.

rblue
01-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Completely agree with Troy. I bought a cheap one ($17k) and I bought an expensive one ($29k). By the time I got through with the cheap one, I had more in it than the expensive one and actually made more on the sale of the cheap one than I did on the expensive one. Well, let me clarify that and I hate to be the fly in the pudding, but if you ever think you will get out of an airplane what you put into it, you will be sorely disappointed. My dad, a WWII, Korea, and early Vietnam pilot and GA pilot, told me, "Son, instead of buying an airplane, go borrow as much money as you can and take it home. Dig a hole in the yard, put the money in it, poor fuel oil on it, set on fire. You'll be money ahead." I didn't agree with Dad because flying holds a certain value to me and I didn't have 25000 hours of flight time to blur my vision. All I'm saying is research, listen, look, pre-buy, buy smart and get as mechanically sound an airplane with the newest fabric and paint and lowest time engine you can. Check all AD's and SB's. You will love the airplane. There are numerous folks on here that are much smarter than me that will help you anyway they can.

I like to think I'm being reasonable about this. I know it's not an investment, and I intend to lose money. :)
But hey, I haven't any other hobbies aside from traveling, and I don't even do drugs (aside from delicious craft brew beer). :)

It's extremely easy to be emotional about this, and I'm trying to be as guarded as possible. Even considering the cons, I'm very eager to join you all.

PeterL
01-28-2014, 02:56 PM
There is a nice one in Texas for around 30k, all new fabric and eng O/H'ed a few years ago.

rblue
01-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Extremely excellent points.
My problem is this: So I locate the aircraft I want, and it's in some other state - How do I find a good A&P to check this thing out? Do I try and bring it back here to Indiana, or phone it in? I'd obviously check it in out in person, but I'm putting a lot of value into a good inspection.

Your wishlist is essentially all I'm wanting... decent paint, interior, good fabric, radio... secondary would be IFR certified, but that's also something I'm willing to MAYBE tackle one day on my own, so not a deal breaker at all.

(edit: whoops - meant this for PeterL)

rblue
01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
There is a nice one in Texas for around 30k, all new fabric and eng O/H'ed a few years ago.

Is there any info available online by chance? I know a dude who may be interested. ;)

Kurts
01-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Here's some wisdom from the car world. Buy the best example of the newest one you can afford. So, pick your budget, and buy the best one you can find that fits within it. Getting on my soapbox, something that is totally unlike me (cough), I'd also strongly suggest finding an airplane from a dry climate if at all possible. I know these are 50-60 years old now, but the dryer it's been kept, and kept (in a hangar), the better the airframe will be.

Kurt

rwdurham
01-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Getting on my soapbox, something that is totally unlike me (cough), I'd also strongly suggest finding an airplane from a dry climate if at all possible.

Kurt

Why Kurt . . .I've never known you to do that on any of these forums. :) Actually, we need to get a bigger soapbox because I'm not sure we can both fit on the same one. I absolutely agree with that advice. I will probably receive hate mail, but I wouldn't buy anything that's been parked within 75 miles of any coast. East, west, or gulf. I'm sure there are some dry areas in California that are within that distance that would be okay but that salt air does a number on aircraft. I did look at a Cardinal in Florida one time that had been kept in a humidified hangar that had been in there for 20 years and there was no corrosion at all. Anyway, for what it's worth, great advice. I'm sure you'll sleep better knowing I agreed with you. :)

PeterL
01-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Is there any info available online by chance? I know a dude who may be interested. ;)

I will try to get the info to you.

Peter

Troy Hamon
01-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Extremely excellent points.
My problem is this: So I locate the aircraft I want, and it's in some other state - How do I find a good A&P to check this thing out? Do I try and bring it back here to Indiana, or phone it in? I'd obviously check it in out in person, but I'm putting a lot of value into a good inspection.

Your wishlist is essentially all I'm wanting... decent paint, interior, good fabric, radio... secondary would be IFR certified, but that's also something I'm willing to MAYBE tackle one day on my own, so not a deal breaker at all.

Ask the seller to give you the names of three mechanics who he knows are familiar with the type of aircraft, but who have never worked on the plane, and you select one.

Or

Ask Steve Pierce, or any other truly knowledgeable shortwing mechanic, if they know of anybody in that area, and call them. If they don't know anybody, they might know somebody that does. Aviation is a small world.

In some cases, the problem is outright misrepresentation of the airplane that people are trying to avoid getting caught by. But even outside of that, there are very different standards in place depending on whose point of view you are looking from. A person who flies an airplane laps around the patch 10 hours per year may really not view the maintenance needs of the airplane the same way a person that wants to take 2,000 mile trips views it. And mechanics can take on the view of the sort of person they regularly work for...so it is best if you have a way of ensuring that you are getting your own person, not somebody that works with or for the current owner.

rblue
01-30-2014, 08:23 AM
I have flown my Clipper from Memphis to Georgian Bay; Kingston Ontario to Memphis; Memphis to Spearfish,SD and SPF to Memphis; Ogden, UT to Memphis each in one day as well as four days to Fairbanks,AL from Memphis and five days from Anchorage to Memphis. I have Temper Foam seat cushions and a well rigged airplane which makes it doable. Nineteen round trips from Memphis to Sun n Fun in Lakeland, FL; about 5 hours each way. About 7or 8 trips to OSH, four and half hours each way.
I consider my Shortwing to be a cross country flyer. With back the seat removed I haul all my Wife's stuff with no problem. All VFR.
I typically plan on 2 to 2.5 hour legs but max 3 hours.

I missed this one - this is great to see, since I'm hoping for plenty of fairly LD cross country mixed in with my local flying. I've got family all over and generally like to travel anyway. :)
I'm not opposed to spending 10-12 hours in a car, but I'd rather fly.

rblue
01-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Here's some wisdom from the car world. Buy the best example of the newest one you can afford. So, pick your budget, and buy the best one you can find that fits within it. Getting on my soapbox, something that is totally unlike me (cough), I'd also strongly suggest finding an airplane from a dry climate if at all possible. I know these are 50-60 years old now, but the dryer it's been kept, and kept (in a hangar), the better the airframe will be.

Kurt

Thanks!! I'm hoping to find a decent example. Again, I understand the need for maintenance, but I also don't want to buy any more of a money pit than owning an airplane already is, ya know? ;)

rblue
01-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Ask the seller to give you the names of three mechanics who he knows are familiar with the type of aircraft, but who have never worked on the plane, and you select one.

Or

Ask Steve Pierce, or any other truly knowledgeable shortwing mechanic, if they know of anybody in that area, and call them. If they don't know anybody, they might know somebody that does. Aviation is a small world.

In some cases, the problem is outright misrepresentation of the airplane that people are trying to avoid getting caught by. But even outside of that, there are very different standards in place depending on whose point of view you are looking from. A person who flies an airplane laps around the patch 10 hours per year may really not view the maintenance needs of the airplane the same way a person that wants to take 2,000 mile trips views it. And mechanics can take on the view of the sort of person they regularly work for...so it is best if you have a way of ensuring that you are getting your own person, not somebody that works with or for the current owner.

This is all great - I appreciate it! Glad you guys are going easy on a noob as well. :)
I'm pretty excited to finally be getting to the point where this is doable in life.

This may sound insane, but I'm sort of envious of this in Alaska who require these as transportation.

walt.buskey
01-31-2014, 07:02 AM
rblue, you're in exactly the same boat --or plane-- that I am! Had around 20 unlogged hrs in various planes, decided it was bucket list time, looked around --a lot-- and fell in love with a PA-22-150… and bought it to use to get my ticket. $23,500, which is a bit high by current standards (prices are down a bit from three years ago), but I still think it was fair.

I only wish I had done a better job with the pre-buy inspection. There weren't any huge problems with mine, but a LOT of small ones… OTOH, I've had great time learning & fixing -been mechanicing as a profession and then a hobby and for quite some time.

I still have faith in mine, she's coming to the end of her repairs/upgrades, etc. and feel that it's going to be a great all-round plane. The fact that PA-22s and their derivatives are several thousand, on average, less than a 172 is just icing on the cake. This and the other forum are great places to start! (Just ask Troy how it is as a trainer!!:D:D)

And welcome to the SWPC!

Walt

Troy Hamon
02-01-2014, 05:17 AM
This is all great - I appreciate it! Glad you guys are going easy on a noob as well. :)
I'm pretty excited to finally be getting to the point where this is doable in life.

This may sound insane, but I'm sort of envious of this in Alaska who require these as transportation.

Well, most people here are just as ground bound as they are anywhere else. We might have more pilots than elsewhere, but you'd be amazed how many people that live in the villages out here don't fly other than larger commercial travel when they are going somewhere.

But then, there are those that have airplanes for only local flying. I know one guy that shudders when he thinks of going 60 miles in his supercub. Too far.

Everybody is different. I love to fly. I would fly my bird across the country to buy a donut if I could afford the gas for the trip...

rblue
02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
rblue, you're in exactly the same boat --or plane-- that I am! Had around 20 unlogged hrs in various planes, decided it was bucket list time, looked around --a lot-- and fell in love with a PA-22-150… and bought it to use to get my ticket. $23,500, which is a bit high by current standards (prices are down a bit from three years ago), but I still think it was fair.

I only wish I had done a better job with the pre-buy inspection. There weren't any huge problems with mine, but a LOT of small ones… OTOH, I've had great time learning & fixing -been mechanicing as a profession and then a hobby and for quite some time.

I still have faith in mine, she's coming to the end of her repairs/upgrades, etc. and feel that it's going to be a great all-round plane. The fact that PA-22s and their derivatives are several thousand, on average, less than a 172 is just icing on the cake. This and the other forum are great places to start! (Just ask Troy how it is as a trainer!!:D:D)

And welcome to the SWPC!

Walt

Walt,
We're definitely in the same spot! I'm not expecting a flawless plane, but I'd be stoked if one were to come my way. ;)
Was yours in otherwise airworthy condition despite the repairs you've made?

I plan on keeping it long term. I don't like the idea of getting an airplane for training (I considered a Traumahawk) then selling. I figure this thing will fit my mission post-certificate, at least for a long while.

Thanks!

rblue
02-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Well, most people here are just as ground bound as they are anywhere else. We might have more pilots than elsewhere, but you'd be amazed how many people that live in the villages out here don't fly other than larger commercial travel when they are going somewhere.

But then, there are those that have airplanes for only local flying. I know one guy that shudders when he thinks of going 60 miles in his supercub. Too far.

Everybody is different. I love to fly. I would fly my bird across the country to buy a donut if I could afford the gas for the trip...

That's surprising to me, actually. I haven't visited AK but perhaps I can make a jump up there from Indiana once I'm comfortable and have a few ACTUAL hours under my belt. ;)

I'm hoping to use my plane for trips to NC and KS fairly regularly, both are about 10-12 hours by car.

Troy Hamon
02-04-2014, 04:33 AM
There is really no time when you are ready for a trip like that until you just schedule it and do it. And if you do, and you can make it work, swing out our way. It will add a couple days to your trip, but it's a pretty amazing place, so you shouldn't just turn around and leave anyway.

Kurts
02-04-2014, 04:04 PM
There was a nice one for sale out here in northern CA a while ago. I just emailed the owner to see if he ever sold it. It even has a sea plane door on the left side.

Kurt

Kurts
02-04-2014, 04:33 PM
No luck, that one was sold.

Kurt

rblue
02-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for checking. If anyone finds one that you can attest is a decent deal, or can vouch for the quality, I'm game. ;)
I'm stalking a couple online for now.

jwbruce
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks for checking. If anyone finds one that you can attest is a decent deal, or can vouch for the quality, I'm game. ;)
I'm stalking a couple online for now.

rblue, check your private messages (I think they are called notifications on this site)
JB

walt.buskey
02-08-2014, 09:11 AM
blue-- my plane was airworthy when I got it, in fact the seller had been using it for 6 years or so; went to Oshkosh from PA every year, also took it to FL once, as I recall. Pretty solid, looked pretty good, and he had done a number of upgrades: gen to alt conversion, lightweight starter, Williams dual toe brakes, wing tip mod (Stewart, IIRC), re-did the instr panel to a std Tee, incorporating an AirGizmo dock for a Garmin GPS296 (he kept the Garmin, I got a used one for myself). When he got it, it had just been re-done with a new interior and all new glass. It's also metalized on both the fuse and wings; only fabric (which was recently re-covered) are the stab, elevators & rudder. Engine checked out great, with about 700 hrs SMOH.

So, overall, yes, quite solid. Problems arose when I started digging, finding a leaking grease seal and wheel cylinder on the right main, primer pump inop, carb ran rich all the time (he just kept it leaned a bit all the time), fuel selector valve leaking and having no tactile detents that I could detect, incorrect fitting on one of the primer lines, data tag missing (!), no floor shields over the pulleys…. just LOTS of things that-- well, just say that were NOT done the way I would have. Not really enough to keep it grounded, but not right, either.

At this point I've corrected a bunch of stuff! Now I'm looking for someone very familiar with these short-wings to go over it from one end to the other, just to make sure I haven't missed something…else.

Got the plane, now I need some air time! Good luck in your search. Walt

rblue
02-10-2014, 11:50 AM
blue-- my plane was airworthy when I got it, in fact the seller had been using it for 6 years or so; went to Oshkosh from PA every year, also took it to FL once, as I recall. Pretty solid, looked pretty good, and he had done a number of upgrades: gen to alt conversion, lightweight starter, Williams dual toe brakes, wing tip mod (Stewart, IIRC), re-did the instr panel to a std Tee, incorporating an AirGizmo dock for a Garmin GPS296 (he kept the Garmin, I got a used one for myself). When he got it, it had just been re-done with a new interior and all new glass. It's also metalized on both the fuse and wings; only fabric (which was recently re-covered) are the stab, elevators & rudder. Engine checked out great, with about 700 hrs SMOH.

So, overall, yes, quite solid. Problems arose when I started digging, finding a leaking grease seal and wheel cylinder on the right main, primer pump inop, carb ran rich all the time (he just kept it leaned a bit all the time), fuel selector valve leaking and having no tactile detents that I could detect, incorrect fitting on one of the primer lines, data tag missing (!), no floor shields over the pulleys…. just LOTS of things that-- well, just say that were NOT done the way I would have. Not really enough to keep it grounded, but not right, either.

At this point I've corrected a bunch of stuff! Now I'm looking for someone very familiar with these short-wings to go over it from one end to the other, just to make sure I haven't missed something…else.

Got the plane, now I need some air time! Good luck in your search. Walt

Definitely good to see this... I can deal with some small things, but also great to see what I should be looking out for as well.