PDA

View Full Version : RickR form Montrose, CO

Rick
05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
My first ride in an aircraft was in 1964 in a Tripacer. My love for aviation started. Private Pilot in 1975, Comm/Inst '80. A&P '81, IA, CFII, MEI,& seaplane all to follow through the years. Spent time up in AK instructing in Pacers on skis, floats and out in the bush on tundra tires. Just bought a project, 1960 PA22/20 180HP, ground looped, the right wing and right elevator are damage. Airplane hasn't flown in the last 4 years. Hope to instruct a bush course here in the Rocky Mountains when its done. If and when that will be. Plus I purchased another PA 22 for parts, so I may have some extras, to sale.

Kurts
05-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Bet it wouldn't have caught a wingtip had someone not put those lovely tips on it. :)

Kurt

Rick
05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks. Having spent hours reading forum already, I figured I'd hear from you. You're probably right. Enjoy

Kurts
05-01-2014, 05:02 PM
All in good fun! :)

Kurt

Rick
05-01-2014, 08:44 PM
I was smiling. Flew a lot of droop tips in Alaska. Thus bushes get awfully close. Sometimes you pull a few weeds. Rick

rpogatchnik
10-11-2014, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Rick;29108]My first ride in an aircraft was in 1964 in a Tripacer. My love for aviation started. Private Pilot in 1975, Comm/Inst '80. A&P '81, IA, CFII, MEI,& seaplane all to follow through the years. Spent time up in AK instructing in Pacers on skis, floats and out in the bush on tundra tires. Just bought a project, 1960 PA22/20 180HP, ground looped, the right wing and right elevator are damage. Airplane hasn't flown in the last 4 years. Hope to instruct a bush course here in the Rocky Mountains when its done. If and when that will be. Plus I purchased another PA 22 for parts, so I may have some extras, to sale.[/QUOTE

rpogatchnik
10-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Rick
Based on your experience I have some questions as to performance enhancements for the purpose of flying into the backcountry of Idaho, Oregon Montana Utah and
Calif.
I recently purchased a PA22/20 150 HP.
Re Pitched the Prop to 56 from 61. Flew to Monache Meadows 8500' 30 gallons fuel. Plane did as expected, use a lot of rwy but no problem. Could be better. Question: Based on your experience will aileron, Flap elevator and rudder gap seals help in tko and climb.
For now I have installed Flap Gap Seals. I have taped the elevator and rudder gaps to see the results. I installed aluminum strips over the top of the aileron gaps and fastened them to the trailing edge of the wing fwd of the gap. I no normally they should be on the bottom of the aileron attach points. I just want to try this before spending money on what may be useless mods.

I do not quite understand how gap seals increase climb. I can surely understand speed. Does it help with slow speed control?
What are the most effective mods for short field, hi altitude performance. I know it will fly into many places it wont fly out of.

pacer44k
10-16-2014, 01:02 PM
61" pitch seems like quite a bit, especially if you are looking for STOL performance. What RPM are you getting static, on T/O, and at 8000' WOT?
IMHO, you are on the correct track by sealing the gaps in the flight controls.
Hope to see you in NorCal someday.

rpogatchnik
10-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Pacer44k,

Thanks for your reply.
Just returned fro the shop with my pacer.

Prop has been re pitched to 56. 2650 TKO RPM. Slowed cruise to 100kts from 110. Climb is 30% better. Put on 8.50 x 6 Tires (because I am too cheap to pay for $3000 for Bushwheels 29 inch tires)
Put gap seals on Flaps and aileron. Taped the gaps on the elevator and rudder Only used metal strips on top of aileron gap for now just to see results. Lateral control was very good. In the air I was able to fly with "0" ROC and maintain altitude at 38 kts indicated. below that I got 500 FPM rate of decent. When stalled with full up elevator the plane descends at 500 FPM and is very stable. You are just flying normally but stalled. I think that is about all there is to do. I know the plane will land 1000 place's that it wont get out of!
The biggest issue has been being patient and waiting for the plane to fly. After flying my friends Husky, Carbon Cub and Smith Cub for so long, it does take some patience. Plan on going back to Monache Meadows this weekend to see the actual results.
I will keep you Posted.

It would be great to get together one day. I live in Bakersfield.
My friend has a dirt strip East of Lake Isabella . 1700' 4500' elevation. Every now and then we have a fly in. Possibly you could come up. We are always looking for new friends to fly with.

Cheers