PDA

View Full Version : Pitot Heat

Torque Wrench
03-06-2006, 02:01 PM
I am new to the SWPC. I bought a nice 1959 PA22-150 Caribean last summer and am enjoying flying out of BNA in Nashville, TN (Class C). I would like to be able to file IFR on trips since it much simpler to fly in and out here that way. Does anyone know if these airplanes have to have pitot heat/alternate air to file IFR? FAR 23 airplanes require it for IFR cert.. However, these are CAR 3 airplanes. I find no mention of it being required in an old copy of CAR 3 I have, but could have missed it. I know what the FSDO will tell me if I ask. Does any one have pitot heat? I found a STC for it listed from DASCO but could not any evidence the company still exist. Did Piper ever put pitot heat on them? Rod Miller

sdtripacer
03-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Rod:
I found two STC's that allow heated pitot's for PA22's. They are: STC Number: SA2142WE (Dasco STC) and STC Number: SA1-386. SA1-386 is public domain as well.
Good luck.

andya
03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
copied from SWPC news (I think)

I could not upload the pdf files that show installation or authorization from Air Services to use as public domain so I added it to my site, additional section at

http://home.earthlink.net/~flynrow/id1.html

sdtripacer
03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Rod:
A call to the responsible FAA office will get your a faxed copy of the STC. The responsible office is: FAA's New York Aircraft Certification Office, 10 Fifth Street, Third Floor, Valley Stream NY 11581-1200, phone 516.256.7500
In my experience you have to be persistent to get through, but it might get you the STC you need at little personal expense.

Torque Wrench
03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks, I'll try getting the public domain STC form the FAA Engr. and Man branch. It sounds like people have been flying short wings IFR with out it, so does any one know a mandatory requirement that requires heated pitot for IFR in a CAR 3 airplane? Rod

andya
03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks, I'll try getting the public domain STC form the FAA Engr. and Man branch. It sounds like people have been flying short wings IFR with out it, so does any one know a mandatory requirement that requires heated pitot for IFR in a CAR 3 airplane? Rod

Required equipment in the FAR's does NOT include heated pitot tube. Look through FAR 91.205 and you'll notice a transponder is not required for IFR ops either. (but you'll have problems flying IFR without one). In some areas of the country you can be solid IFR and not need pitot heat, that's a pilot judgement in my opinion.

p_everette
03-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Rod,
This link will take you Andy Andersons site,

http://home.earthlink.net/~flynrow/id1.html

You can find the STC and installation information here.

Phil

Gilbert Pierce
03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
See page 5 and 6 of the TIPS AND TECHNIQUES VOL I. It references and discusses two different STC's and some 337's for heated pitot tubes.
Avialable now at the Short Wing Piper Store.

Torque Wrench
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your help. I've got the STC printing. FAR part 23 has a requirement for pitot heat and alternate air for the airplane to be eligible for IFR certification and part 43 appendix E has a requirement to check for proper operation of pitot heat when performing FAR 91.411/412 24 Mo checks. But you are right. Part 91 does not require it and I don't think it's required on CAR 3 airplanes. Rod Miller P.S. Your'e not the Andy Anderson that worked at the Joplin, MO Flight Service years ago are you?