PDA

View Full Version : Another Newby

Airplaneguy57
10-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm one lucky guy. I've been given a project. A tri Pacer. I'm an A&P IA so Ive been around airplanes for a day or two. I looked it over and it would appear to be all there. Haven't had a chance to go through everything yet. One wing is covered and everything else is bare. I may remove the covering and use a different materal. Now the problem. No logs. There are some papers but I'm sure I won't be able to redo the logs. Contacting the previous owner is not an option. Is it possible to register this thing. Otherwise parting out is the other option.

rwdurham
10-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Probably worth more parted out. Unfortunately there's always someone dinging or dinking something up. Going "experimental" might be another option. Did it come with an engine?

pacer44k
10-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Is there any paperwork, i.e., airworthiness, registration, etc? How did you gain title to the plane? Based on the fact that you are going to have to reduo the entire plane, the logs are not a huge obstacle for return to service. A missing airworthiness can be a different tale.

Airplaneguy57
10-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Only the engine case. As for the paperwork they are currently trying to track it down. I have not gained title of the aircraft yet. Long story. Short of it was someone else took the paperwork hoping to do the restoration himself. Decided it was to rich for his blood and quit. Never took the airplane but still has the paperwork. Im sure I wouldnt be the first to tackle this problem. I'm contacting the FAA to see what they say. I really did have my hopes up. What a way to get off the ground so to speak. Just getting my pilots licenses and flying something I rebuilt. And being able to pass it down to my grandson. His mom would flip.

rwdurham
10-15-2014, 11:07 AM
I am always hesitant to suggest parting one of these planes out and I ran into a very similar story with a PA20 airframe I have. I've come to the conclusion that it will either get parted out or, as I mentioned above, turned experimental. I just don't have my head wrapped around that yet. I absolutely agree with pacer44k in that if the airworthiness cert is missing it's a horse/plane of a different color. Your airplane certainly wouldn't be the only one out there with missing logs. Missing logs can certainly effect value, but if you plan on keeping it for as long as you mention above, the value shouldn't take that big of a hit if your documentation from that point forward is immaculate. I have learned that "restoration" is more than a word and is a commitment that gives you great pride. My dad was a Globe Swift restoration fanatic and every time he completed one it was like he had given birth to it. I encourage you to finish it if you can and wish you the best with it. There are many restoration guys with a wealth of knowledge on this forum and shortwingpipers.org and others that can help you with the process without having to re-invent the wheel. And as a side-note, it would probably give your grandson's mom great pride seeing her son flying his grandfather's plane. She might not be ready for that quite yet. :)

Airplaneguy57
10-16-2014, 01:32 PM
This is the latest. Ive talked to the FAA and have received some very good news. It can be done with a little work. So if I can get the paperwork from the other guy I will attempt the rebuild. I can't imagine the fixed smile on my face to see my grandson fly. I have plenty of time since he's only 3. Right now everything is airplanes so if this continues we both will be knee deep this Tri Pacer. I'll be around alot, reading and post from time to time. If you come to San Antonio and see someone snooping around your airplane it might be me. Don't worry I won't touch it.