PDA

View Full Version : Nashville area new member, considering a Tri Pacer purchase

Mike Harris
01-10-2015, 01:46 AM
Hello! After wanting to get my private license for years, I was finally financially able to start lessons last fall and finished this past spring. I joined a club and have been flying the club C172 a lot this year, and I am now up to about 110 hours total. I have also always envisioned owning my own airplane, and especially since the club plane is 40 mins away from the house my wife and I just bought, and there is a great private grass strip 10 mins away, now really looks like the time. i'm in talks with a friend who has a Tri Pacer for sale that is already based at the field close to my house, so things might be coming together nicely. From my research on the specs, pilot reports, and owner testimonials it seems like the Tri Pacer would be a great first airplane for me. My normal mission will be flying me, my wife, and our new baby boy around the southeast, as well as working on my IFR ticket (this Tri Pacer is IFR equipped). It's hard to argue with the economics of a Tri Pacer, and it seems their owners are happy with them as well.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here on that! I've done a good bit of research and estimating expenses so I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into, but I welcome your comments or advice on my first airplane purchase. Thanks!

pacer44k
01-11-2015, 03:41 AM
Mike,
First off, welcome to the SWPC forums, and potentially to SWP ownership. You have found yourself considering the best bang for the buck aircraft available, and it will suit your current mission very well.
Make sure you have a thorough pre-buy done by a knowledgable mechanic. These are a few items to look for:
1. How long since the last recover?
2. Compliance with Piper S.B. 819 during the last recover.
3. Sealed or unsealed struts? The original struts are not a show stopper, but make sure you adjust your offer.
4. Has the plane been hangared continuously? I would consider a plane that has older fabric than one with newer fabric that sits outside.
Good luck, and keep us posted. If you end up buying a SWP, you will want to order the "Drawings" and "Tips & Techniques" CD's from the club. There is also another website, Shortwing Pipers.Org www.shortwingpipers.org that you will want to join. Between these two groups, you will have all the resources that you will need to operate and maintain the plane. We have quite a few members in TN, and a very good SPEC Chapter in TN. Hopefully, Gilbert Pierce will see this and chime in.
Best of luck to you!

jwbruce
01-12-2015, 10:52 AM
If you get the tripacer, keep in mind the convention this summer in Branson, MO as a destination for you and your family. You should be able to work in a stop at Gaston's on the White River (really the best aviation destination in Arkansas)...

peck257
01-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Good advice. For a Tri Pacer kept inside, what is the expected life of the fabric? Thanks!