PDA

View Full Version : Pitot Tube Drawing

03-04-2015, 02:37 PM
I cannot find any reference in the drawings for the pitot tube on my Colt. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Ed

pacer44k
03-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I cannot find any reference in the drawings for the pitot tube on my Colt. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Ed

Ed,
On my PA-20 drawings, it is Dwg. #12538, Fig. 9. (look on the left side, lower). Hope this helps! I believe that these drawings were laid out with the expectations that we all have a little Sherlock Holmes in us.
Let me know if this was the info you were looking for.

TDailing
03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
I found the pitot tube for the 22-108 on drawing 15140 wing assembly. You will have to zoom in on figure G which shows a part number of 14494. I did a check of the numerical listings and 14494 is not there. I'm guessing that not all of the drawings made there way into our CD. Some it appears like this one are being used by Univair to manufacture new parts. Their number is -14494-000 which sells for $ 107.00. Makes you wonder if you could make your own from cooper tubing and a steel washer?

Todd

Tom Anderson
03-06-2015, 02:33 AM
When Dan Thomas was putting together the drawing CD he acquired drawing from all the sources he could find. Piper even donated some drawings (the ones with the red x that don't have a Piper logo or name on them). The drawing for the PA-20 pitot tube that Kurt identified is different than that used on the Colt. The Colt only has a single pitot tube on the wing. The static line is on the belly as shown on drawing 14498. The pitot tube would be similar to that shown for the Clipper on drawing 11939. The early Pacers were the same as the Clipper in that they did not have a static line. They vented the instruments to the cabin for static pressure.

Tom Anderson

Kurts
03-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Wasn't me...

Interestingly enough, my Colt had the static line installed all the way from the underside of the aft fuselage to behind the panel. Trouble is, Piper never connected it to any of the instruments. They were just open to the air. Note the use of the word "were".

Kurt

Tom Anderson
03-08-2015, 01:16 AM
Sorry about that Kurt. It was Mark that made the reference.

I have an alternate static in my plane which vents to the cockpit. it can change the altitude reading by 20 to 30 ft. when I open it at cruise.

Tom

03-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all your helpful input guys...sorry I did not reply sooner but kept getting a "server busy" message the past few days. I already had found Dwg 15140 but am really after is 14494 and I gather now it may not be available. What I need is the horizontal length (mine broken) and unfortunately the drawings only show the 'face on' view. FYI, my Colt only has the pitot tube on the wing. The static port is rearward, on the belly, approximately 5 ft behind the seat and is hooked up. Colt is a later model, ser # 9046 .

I don't have a Pa-22 in my area and perhaps I could convince someone that is close to a Tripacer pitot (without the static tube) to measure the distance from the rearward bend radius (easiest to measure), to the tip.
Thanks again
Ed

Jim Hann
03-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Ed,

I've got a brand new pitot tube waiting to be installed on my 22/20. It is a 150 so it has the last configuration of the pitot/static system. I can shoot pictures and take measurements when I get to the hangar again. Unfortunately right now that won't be for at least a week, I just found out I am supposed to work next Mon-Weds. If you don't have anything by then I can help you out.

Jim

TDailing
03-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Go to univairs website and simply put in the part numbers. U13764-00 for the tripe and 14494-000 for the colt. You will get a picture of each of the pitot tubes

03-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Again thanks guys. Chuck, that Univair picture is the best I have seen (taken side on). I copied the image and pasted it into a CAD program and scaled it up using the vertical height from the PA drawings and assuming a 1/4" OD tube. I suspect I'm pretty close.

Jim, I would still like to get your measurements when you have time so I can check my work.

Ed

Jim Hann
04-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Again thanks guys. Chuck, that Univair picture is the best I have seen (taken side on). I copied the image and pasted it into a CAD program and scaled it up using the vertical height from the PA drawings and assuming a 1/4" OD tube. I suspect I'm pretty close.

Jim, I would still like to get your measurements when you have time so I can check my work.

Ed

Send me an email at LNav.VNav(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll measure it when I get to the hangar. I measured it once but didn't write it down and then I couldn't get on here for a while and forgot, the server said it was busy. :-(