PDA

View Full Version : Something seems seriously wrong here

Mtcicon
10-30-2015, 04:42 AM
Guys I've been in and out of this sight for a year now. Most threads have dates that are multiple years old with no replies in the past year. What are you guys doing? Is this an active place? I don't have many questions regarding my aircraft but seriously.........why is this place so dead?

Fred Mayes
10-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Mtcion, I can't answer all of your questions but I can talk about the Website and I believe is part of the problems you have brought up.
The SWPC has not had an active Website for more than Two years and just recently got it up and running. When you pull up the website today you will not recognize it as the SWPC website because it is advertising for Sun n Fun and Oshkosh. I have tried to get the winners of the Convention on the home page and the champion was up for one week and then removed for Oshkosh. The other winners were not put up at all. If you look at the post below yours you can read what I posted. We have a President who is more concerned about Oshkosh than the SWPC. SWPC has paid a lot of money for Websites over the years and we should have a SHORT WING on the Home Page all of the time so people who look at our Website can see what they look like. I do not know why SWPC has to advertise for Oshkosh and Sun n Fun on our Website. They do not pay a dime for that privilege. I believe the SWPC members have given up.

10-30-2015, 08:49 PM
You are right about the lack of use of this forum. It didn't use to be like that, but there were some severe problems with the website where sometimes it worked and many times it didn't. People just quite posting on it and went to the ShortWingPipers.Org site. There have also been a series of problems with the past presidents that hacked off a lot of people and they left because they decided the club wasn't the place for them. I would like to say things are getting better now, but that wouldn't necessarily be true. There is still a lot of good stuff on the website that you can't get anywhere else, but forum wise, it is kind of dead. We need some people to post something juicy to get it going again.

Mtcicon
10-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Thx guys. I do feel a little frustrated in that regard. I'll do my level best to change it and make something better. I have taken the long route to getting my dream pacer. After I moved back to the klamath falls area I flew for a while as a medical card for an older gentleman with a cessna 150. All the while saving up for my pacer. He sold me the 150 and I've been flying her for the past year improving her as I go. Her annual is almost done and she will go up for sale this spring. And I'll be getting into a pacer at that time. It did give me a reason to look at the 150/152 club and there chemistry. Something that would be of great use here. As I leave them and spend more time here I'll do what I can to make it better.

Jim Hann
10-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Definitely wander over to shortwingpipers.org (181 forgot the last s) and you'll see where many of the folks that posted here have gone. This Club has some great assets, like the drawings CD, but they are being squandered by egos. It takes a village to keep these aging airplanes flying! I have a 22/20, are you planning on a true Pacer, a conversion, or a Tri-Pacer?

Jim

Mtcicon
11-09-2015, 01:39 AM
About a 4 years ago I moved up to Oregon from Oklahoma to help in the family business having earned my private certificate about two months prior. As I started doing research on what I wanted for my mission I found the pacer on bush wheels and knew it was the way to go. At the time I had no prospect of getting a plane as I was hard at work turning around a collapsing business and ranch. Last year I got stuck in a broke down truck in New York right next to my uncle's place. He is also a pilot. I stayed through Christmas and as a gift I was given a membership to EAA. When I got home I went to the local chapter meeting and met a man named Dutch. He had been unwittingly deceived by his instructor (intentionally I believe) into the medical loophole and had his beloved Julie cessna 150 that he owned but could not fly. I became his medical and began to develop a budget from the now recovered business to support the flights. I flew her back to Oshkosh for the first time this year and even watched you guys land and taxi in. On my way home he informed me that he was going to sell her and asked if I would buy her. I agreed to do so even though she was not my first choice. I now own her outright and am getting the annual completed as we speak in preparation for her sale. We have run into a few problems as I found out the mechanic who inspected her for the last ten years should be arrested. It will cost well over 5k but joe at LSA aviation and I agreed that she doesn't leave till she is right. Not good enough........right. So when they are done she will go to sale at 20k. I own a hangar in Malin oregon for her to stay till she is gone. In the meantime I will be trying to dedicate about 1-2k per month in funds to save and add to her sale price so that I can purchase a plane as close to my eventual goal as possible. That would be a light (early vfr panel) pa22-20/pa22/pa20 and convert to 150/160 wide gear with 31s with climb prop. No gyro no vacuum. Or related instruments or as close as I can get to it and still be legal. The purpose would be for back country camping and such. I work 3 weeks every month and then I'm off for a week. I want to go get in my plane and disappear and find some place to go. So that's the back story and future plans. I know the pacer is the right plane. Just have to get it done.

Mtcicon
11-09-2015, 01:45 AM
I did go over to the other site. I forgot that they were over there. Thats why when I visited here I was so shocked. I thought here was there. Oh well. I will eventually join here as well but they have all the info I require as well as expertise for right now. Until Julie sells and I have cash in hand I don't consider myself a serious buyer just a dreamer. So I'll continue to float but as it get closer I'll start trying to engage on prices and potential planes and equipment.

Mtcicon
11-09-2015, 01:50 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ5EGKmkOY0 a little clip of me and Julie heading out to see a friend at skywagon ranch.

pacer44k
11-15-2015, 01:09 PM
.....snipped..... I own a hangar in Malin oregon for her to stay till she is gone. In the meantime I will be trying to dedicate about 1-2k per month in funds to save and add to her sale price so that I can purchase a plane as close to my eventual goal as possible. That would be a light (early vfr panel) pa22-20/pa22/pa20 and convert to 150/160 wide gear with 31s with climb prop. No gyro no vacuum. Or related instruments or as close as I can get to it and still be legal. The purpose would be for back country camping and such. I work 3 weeks every month and then I'm off for a week. I want to go get in my plane and disappear and find some place to go. So that's the back story and future plans. I know the pacer is the right plane. Just have to get it done.

Mathew,
You will find that a Pacer will fit all of the requirements that you are looking for in a plane, especially when you are stepping out of a C-150!
Not really much advice to add at this time, excepting a response to one of your comments (highlighted above).
If you truly want a plane with the 150/160 hp engines, then that should be a priority on your shopping list. While you can buy an O-290 powered Pacer much cheaper than the O-320 powered models, unless it is a way under-market price you are going to lose in the end. The acquisition of a suitable O-320, prop, accessories, STC, etc., is going to outweigh the savings on the original purchase.
Hope to see you in a Pacer soon!

11-15-2015, 06:14 PM
To get back on topic, let's get the main website up to date. The main events at the top of the page are all outdated. Let's get something current up there, like the upcoming convention, and/or some pictures of the past trophy winners, a "how to" article for a technical aircraft issue, or maybe a link to all the 337 forms that used to be here. Maybe highlight a chapter and do a pictorial interview on it. Whoever is in charge of the webpage - Do Something! The club is paying a lot of money to have the website, let's get our money's worth! How are you going to get people to attend the convention if you don't promote it on the front page?

Fred Mayes
11-15-2015, 08:59 PM
181, you asked a lot of good questions about the Web Site. As you remember for the 2015 Convention we could not use the SWPC Web site. That is the reason I asked my Daughter Laura if she could fix up a Convention Web Site for us. She did and it cost about $65 and it took her about 3 hours and it was ready to go and did a good job for us for the 2015 Convention. Whoever has control of the Web site needs to give it up and let someone who knows how to work a web site take over but I don't think she will do that because she would lose some Power and she could not advertise for S n Fun and Oshkosh. I do not understand this and we "the Membership" have got to take more control of the SWPC and not let it be run by one President.
SWPC has spent a lot of money for WEB SITES over the years and we are for sure not getting our money's worth. We need to speak up and demand Connie give the Web Site up so someone who knows how to run the Web Site. SWPC WEB SITE should not advertise for other Clubs and I know SWPC needs for all of the Members and the "President" should be working for the SWPC. This is one of the reasons the SWPC is going down hill instead of up hill. SWPC has several Members who are very knowledgeable about the WEB Site and should be allowed to get this problem corrected promptly.
I will say this again,"we should not have Oshkosh, SnFun on the SWPC HOME PAGE. Members please pull up the WEB SITE and you will see only Oshkosh and SnF on the Home Page. Nothing about the SWPC, and this is SAD for the SWPC.

Fred Mayes
Pacer N7478K

rampil
11-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Hi All!
There's a place for advertising on web sites if they pay for the space or they swap banners with SWPC to their own sites. After all, we are all pilots.
However, we do NOT need year old and expired banners. That comes from studied inattention.

Welcome Homer, I have read many of your posts and value your opinion. I of course am rebuilding a basket case without possessing an A&P myself, but I
am surrounded by A&Ps, IAs, retired FAA inspectors, and even the former owner of PolyFiber. I trust their hangar visits and kibitzing with keep me safe
until signature time. I have also experienced a bit of the Wild West atmosphere at the dot Org. I've have posters call me names for not sharing
their nihilistic political vision. That being said I have great respect for Steve. He makes great contributions to the general welfare and knowledge.
His site is the obvious place to have active discussions and look up old threads. It's no real trouble to visit both sites.

Mtcicon
11-16-2015, 09:46 AM
I agree with what you guys are saying. It's great to hear from everyone. My 150 is going back together and should be out of annual soon. I'll post an ad on barnstormers and go from there.

pacer44k
11-16-2015, 11:44 AM
I agree with what you guys are saying. It's great to hear from everyone. My 150 is going back together and should be out of annual soon. I'll post an ad on barnstormers and go from there.

Mitch....Don't know if you noticed, but I started another thread about you and your desire for a Pacer. Seems to me that the hopefully ongoing discussion about the sale of the 150 and your hunt for a Pacer should not be buried in a thread detailing the woes of the SWPC!
Here is where you will find it http://forum.shortwingpiperclub.org/showthread.php?4398-Looking-To-Buy-a-Pacer&p=29933#post29933

Fred Mayes
11-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Homer, I can answer some of your questions. My E-Mail is in the SWPC news book on the first page 2015 except the Oct, Nov, Dec issue under the at-large board member.