PDA

View Full Version : dad's 55 tripacer

dad's 55 tripacer
11-21-2017, 07:07 PM
First off my name is Greg Hoffmann I grew up around airplanes my dad rebuilt 9828d tripacer in the early 70'S in our garage , I WAS IN 5TH grade. Well I inherited this from my father totally dismantled, he had just purchased this in early 2017 Witch I tried to discourage, but you know how that went I'm pretty good at restoring old muscle cars to way nicer than they've ever been. I went to school and received my a&p 30+ years ago but never used it. My passion has been to go fast in cars and boats. My dad's passion was anything airplanes, the one thing we had in common was we like to build things to the best of our ability! The long and short story, I pushed my 68 gto frame off restoration aside and working on this tripacer because I told my dad I would finish it and fly it for him. So I hope some of you short wingers won't mind helping me a little or maybe a lot. Thanks Greg

Fred Mayes
11-22-2017, 01:26 AM
dad's 55 tri-pacer

Thanks for coming on this forum. You have several things going for you in restoring the pa-22 if you will use them. First thing we need to know your name. I believe you may be in the Denver area. You need to join the Short Wing Piper Club and they have a lot of info that will help to restore the PA-22. There are several Short Wing members in the Denver area and I am sure they could give you help and a big advantage you have Univair aircraft parts in Aurora close by and they have whatever you need for your pa-22. To join the SWPC you can call [417-883-1457 or E-Mail: eleanormills@att.net

Fred Mayes
Pacer N7478K

Steve Pierce
11-22-2017, 08:24 AM
First thing I would do if your Dad didn't already get them would be to order the Short Wing Piper Club Drawing CD. Lot's of great information in conjunction with the illustrated parts cataloge.
https://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/product/piper-drawings-vol-1/

dad's 55 tripacer
11-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks Fred, ya, Univair and I have become good friends they are like my savings account, I just make weekly deposits, and I just don't get a withdrawal slip, just a ltitle bag of parts Nice people though I do need to order some of the cd's available through the club

dad's 55 tripacer
11-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Steve thanks for the reply, my dad grew up building airplanes, his father owned a piper dealership and had his own flying circus in the 30s and 40s
So he had all this informationin his head, but he is not here with me any longer. So I just ordered the cd. I'm sure this restoration will cost me twice as much to build than it would've cost my dad, just because I don't now what he did. I think everything should be new or look new so I figured about 40k will put this together, not bad considering I could buy one done for 20 or 30 but it will be a labor of love both for him and myself.