PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Joebwan
02-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Hello folks. I am a new pilot, and a new owner. At 51, I may be new but am not young.

I am finishing my ticket in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Learning here has been an exercise in caution. Every day is mountain flying. Never too old to start?

Tired of the anemic C-172, I just purchased 1958 160hp Tripacer. Hopefully the 30 extra horses, and being nearly 500 lbs lighter will actually get us up on high DA days. Iíll let you know if the wind ever quits blowing...

Anyhoo, glad to find some community, hope to meet some of you in the not too distant future.

cheers
Joe

Wag-builder
02-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm flying a 150 hp Tripacer at sea level and even with the DA at 3000' it climbs pretty well but I have a 61" pitch prop. What is the field elevation there? I would think you would want a 58" pitch prop for your elevation/DA.

Hope to see you at the convention,

Steve

pacer44k
02-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Joe,
I get to Salida once in a while as I have a dear friend that runs a shop in old town.
Wag-Builder asked a very germane question for your operation. What pitch prop do you have on your new Tripe? You will likely want no more than a 60" pitch even with 160hp. I have a 58" on my 150hp Pacer, and it gives me the best trade off for cruise and performance at the higher D/A's.
If I get to Salida, I will look you up!
MarkO

Hello folks. I am a new pilot, and a new owner. At 51, I may be new but am not young.

I am finishing my ticket in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Learning here has been an exercise in caution. Every day is mountain flying. Never too old to start?

Tired of the anemic C-172, I just purchased 1958 160hp Tripacer. Hopefully the 30 extra horses, and being nearly 500 lbs lighter will actually get us up on high DA days. I’ll let you know if the wind ever quits blowing...

Anyhoo, glad to find some community, hope to meet some of you in the not too distant future.

cheers
Joe

Joebwan
02-27-2018, 10:07 PM
Hi Steve,
Ill look through the pile of paperwork, hopefully somewhere in there is the prop info. We are at 7500’ so I would think a climb prop is in order, and it may well have one already. I have been able to fly it a few hours, it does get up with 1/2 fuel a 2 people at about 700’ per minute, so I am pretty happy.

If I were to measure, tip to tip?

Best,
Joe

Joebwan
02-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Not sure how to tell Mark. I will check the paperwork.
Please do stop in, would love to see your bird and exchange stories!
So far 01D has been fun, I had her up to a bit over 14,000 just evacuating her ‘over the passes’ potential. She got there WAY faster then the 172 with a Horton STOL kit. I am pleased. Am considering vortex generators, have read some interesting reports...