PDA

View Full Version : New Member (Kinda Tall)

RS2059
04-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Hello SWPC,

I joined the SWPC during EAA AirVenture in the summer of 2018 after stumbling upon the Tri-Pacer while researching aircraft options. I've enjoyed reading the quarterly news letters/books and decided I needed to finally join this online forum.

I really like the Tri-Pacer and the Colt for what I believe my flight mission would be, but I wonder about how well I might fit in them. I'm 6' 3" with a 34" pants inseam, so I have a longer torso than a typical person of my height. I've sat in a Tri-Pacer and seemed to have just enough headroom that my head brushed the headliner. I expected the Colt would have the same seating position and available room until I read the following article:

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/saddling-up-a-colt/#.XLkpsuhJGHs

which contains a couple of key statements:

"The Colt has no rear side windows nor a hump atop the cabin (for extended headroom)."

"The Colt doesn't have the extra headroom of a Tri-Pacer"

Can anyone help me understand how the Tri-Pacer and Colt compare with respect to headroom and legroom?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Paul Watts
04-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Hi Rick, welcome to the SWPC. My 1st plane was a Colt, I now own a Tri-Pacer. I have also flown PA16 & PA20. I can't say I have noticed any difference in head room, or leg room. I may well not be a good judge, as I am just 5' 8".

The Colt does not have rear windows, because it has no rear seats (baggage doesn't get to look outside!)

The Tri-pacer "hump" does allow more rear seat headroom, but (as far as I can tell) has no affect on front seat headroom. Some (most) of the "hump" is actually for clearance for the flap actuating cable & pulley.

I find it hard to believe (but not impossible) that Piper would actually reduce head / leg room in the later models of essentially the same planes.

My recommendation would be to not rule out a Colt (if 2 seats are all you need), but by all means do not purchase one without sitting in it, flying it, and taking a long look at how it "fits" you....you are the only one who can really evaluate that.

Good Luck in plane shopping!

Paul