PDA

View Full Version : Compass light

KKlos
08-27-2005, 08:09 PM
I have a 1957 PA22 with what I think is the original compass. It is lighted but the lamp is burned out. The lamp is in a "screw cap" that screws into the top front of the compass. On the edge of the cap it says G-E 323. It is different than later compass lights that have a little "hooded cover". It is an interesting design and I had to figure out how it had a way to have a positive and negative connection. I found out that the lamp itself is inside a plastic sleeve that insulates it from the barrel that screws into the compass (probably does not make any sense unless you can see it.) Does anyone know where I can get a replacement lamp. I have done the usual Google searches and have had no success. I will also look on the drawing CD maybe it will help.
Thanks Keith

Iowatripacer
08-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Try Mc master Carr catalog. I think I got one from them a long time ago.

KKlos
09-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Well, I got the 5 surplus/used bulbs that I ordered and put the first one in and it lit up the compass real well untill I turned the rheostat up to high and then it burned out. I thought maybe it was a fluke so put another one in with the same result. These appear to be 3 volt bulbs and obviously would not take 12 volts when I turned the rheostat up. Soooo I am right back where I started. Probably the one that was in there when I bought the plane had burned out also because it was a 3 volt lamp. Any suggestions from anyone? Might be time to buy a vertical card compass.