Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Super Forumator
    • Oct 2005

Colt Wing Rigging

I didn't see anything in archives on this subject. Could someone please give me some info on rigging wings. They have been removed for painting and forks were removed from struts. I didn't try to preserve the old rig as I want to rig to specs.

Thanks
    Jim Miller
  • sdtripacer
    Master Forumator
    • Feb 2006

Jim:
    Since the Colt is a PA22 variant you may be able to use the Piper rigging procedure used on other PA22 models. I do have the PA20 and PA22 rigging procedures from Piper as well as an older SWPC article on the same. These files are too large to send via this forum, but if you want them I can email them to you. If you want this information just let me know your email address and I will forward it to you.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

Comment

• jay heil
      Master Forumator
      • Aug 2005

in a nutshell you level the airplane then stretch a string acroos the top of the wings from last full rib at the front spar pull it tight then measure from the string to the flat on the wing attachment fitting on the fusalage the spec is 4-7/8 inch obviously check both wings then after thats adjusted then take a 1-3/8 block and tape it to a long level and put that block on the rear spar location of the last full rib and have the level following that rib it needs to read level with that block between the level and the rib and that there is all there is to it

Comment

Super Forumator
        • Oct 2005

Jay and Mike
        Thanks for the info. If I understand correctly I will use the front strut adj to get the 4-7/8 then the rear strut adj for the 1-3/8 washout and then recheck both in case one affects the other. Is this correct? Also what is the best way to level the aircraft before starting? Do I place the level across the wing attach fittings on one side then raise or lower tail or is some other reference point used?

Thanks
        Jim Miller
        Last edited by 7083; 05-26-2006, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• jay heil
          Master Forumator
          • Aug 2005

If I understand correctly I will use the front strut adj to get the 4-7/8 then the rear strut adj for the 1-3/8 washout and then recheck both in case one affects the other. Is this correct?
          yes that is correct
          to level it there is a hole in the upper door frame [frt door] it may be covered over but you have to find it you hang a plumb bob from this hole [take out your co-pilot seat] and there is a punch mark on the cross tube when the point of the plumb bob is on that punch mark you plane is leveled

Comment

Super Forumator
            • Oct 2005

Jay
            Thanks, I know where the hole and indentation are located.

Jim Miller

Comment

Working...