WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Wing leveler for TriPacer

gfish Guest

Default Wing leveler for TriPacer

Does anyone have any information on a wing leveler system for a tripacer? Interested in purchasing one and looking for used or new and what type is best for this application. Thanks

I have the whole shooting match including the gyros that I removed from mine ,I havent a clue how to hook it back up

12944 Guest

That would sure be interesting and heavy too I bet!

This is a copy of a previous response I gave to the same question:

There is an original equipment autopilot that works through the old AN style attitude indicator and DG with a servo mounted on the passenger side control column. It was a "wing leveler" as well as a heading and radio tracker. You could cobble together enough parts from want ads, or you might be able to find a system that someone took out and doesn't want and is just gathering dust in a hangar. There are few if anyone left in the active avionics service that can maintain or fix them. (That is because most of us are in the "old autopilot weenie's home" talking about the good old days when you couldn't just turn on a computer and have it run diagnostics and tell you exactly what to do and if that doesn't work to send it back to the factory.) ((editorial comment)).
    Brittian Corp has an STC'd autopilot for PA-xx series however their support for them is almost non existant. When I last communicated with them a couple of years ago, they were having supply problems with some components and were not able to fill some orders they already had. There was an SWPC member who had one on order and was waiting for delivery but had waited several months with no hope of delivery. Their system had a radio tracker also. At that time, I offered to be kind of a liason between Brittian and the SWPC to get enough interested people together and maybe negotiate with Brittian to give them a little bit more financial incentive to get it together and available. However, I received NO INPUT from anyone else in the SWPC relative to wanting a Brittian Autopilot. Yours is the first question in about two years. My offer still stands, but we can't BS them into working with us and not be willing to buy the product after it gets done. If we can't get some firm order comittments from enough people, then it will stay dead on the vine. I also believe that S-TEC is maybe a servo motor short of being able to have an autopilot that can be used for a PA-22. I can also noodle an adaptation of their old electric trim system into use for PA22 electric trim capability. But again, without a market they won't be interested. I have about all information available on the Brittian Autopilot, I can digitize it and get it out for everyone to see. (It will probably have to go to Andy Anderson's WEB site because we can't do that kind of file upload and download activity here for some reason). So, that is what I can contribute to the subject. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I have a number of Autocontrol gyros and amplifiers, servos, and operating cable sets. I intend to have one set of gyros overhauled and the set carefully checked out, and install the system in my PA22 this next summer. I also have some of the operating and installation data on these. Of course the technology is not up to today's hi-tech systems, but neither are we, and neither are our airplanes.

I only need a system that will keep the dirty side down while I check the chart for a change in route from ATC when the "as filed" route is to be changed. My wife can do this in VFR conditions, but there are times the Autocontrol would be nice for a little relief on a long flight. Hope you find a way to accomplish what you want to do. Of course, if money is not the problem, there are ways to do this with new equipment, as Homer has pointed out. George

rtacton Guest

I have the original Autocontrol system installed in my PA-22. I also have the original instruction manual and service manual. When it works it works fine. However, I have had to send it back to Keystone Instruments in Loch Haven, PA a couple of times for repair. I spoke with the people at Brittain located in Tulsa, OK about their wing leveler. The cost is about $1,300. I have the installation instructions. The unit has been installed in the Swift. I will contact these guys for an opinion.
    Ron Acton

rtacton Guest

George,

Do you have extra Autocontrol parts you wish to sell?

Thanks.

Ron Acton

rtacton Guest

Jay,

Are you interested in selling the autocontrol unit? Why did you remove it? Was it working when removed?

Thanks.

Ron Acton

rtacton Guest

Homer,

I am interested. I spoke with the Brittian people in Tulsa. They indicated they could provide me a unit in 4-6 weeks for about $1,300. Do you know of anyone who has installed one in a PA-22? They have been installed in the Swift aircraft and a person on the Swift web site indicated it worked fine. i will contact the person and learn what I can about his experience.

Ron Acton

Ron Acton

Hi Ron;
    That is good to hear that Brittian is doing something. Did you just talk about the wing leveler, or did you get into the heading and radio tracker? Last I talked with them, the heading and radio tracker pushed the price to over 3K. I don't know of anyone who has put a Brittian system into a PA-xx plane. Perhaps if it has happened someone reading this forum can let us know. Thanks for the information

rtacton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth
    Hi Ron;
    That is good to hear that Brittian is doing something. Did you just talk about the wing leveler, or did you get into the heading and radio tracker? Last I talked with them, the heading and radio tracker pushed the price to over 3K. I don't know of anyone who has put a Brittian system into a PA-xx plane. Perhaps if it has happened someone reading this forum can let us know. Thanks for the information
    Homer,
    I spoke with a Dr. O'Dell from Nashville about his experience installing a Brittian wing leveler in a Swift. He installed the unit himself and was satisfied with the results. The only modification he made was a brass insert, to restrict the flow of vacuum to the servo. He felt the unit over compensated and by reducing the amount of vacumm the unit worked fine. If I send the diagram of the unit to him he will sketch out where this goes. He has since sold the Swift. Installation in our planes would probably be easier.
    Ron Acton

Wayne Guest

What is this groups opinyon of installing this wing leveller on a Pacer? I would think that the adverse yaw would cause problems with no rudder/aileron inter-connect. I would love to have one in my PA22/20 if it would work OK.

I have a PA 22 without the interconnect and don't feel that there is that much adverse yaw. Of course maybe my butts gotten so big that I can't feel the seat of my pants any more, much less fly by it.

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A

I also would be interested in at least the wing level system. However, I would have to find a shop around the Washington D.C. area to install it into my Pacer. Does anyone know of a shop at the East Coast who would install a Brittian system?

Juergen
    PA 22/20-150 N3342Z

HI Wayne;
    Thr bulk of the lower horsepower single engine planes that have autopilots (C172,Cherokees', Beech Muskateer) do not have rudder control. You will only notice a small amount of fishtailing immediately after the start of a turn. Your 22/20 should do just fine with a wing leveler.

Yes, I do have enough components to put together three complete installations, excepting the push/pull cable. I am not sure I have one of those for each set. All would require overhaul and proper testing and installation. I would sell all but one complete system. The equipment is in Nebraska, and I am in South Texas till late April.

You might be ahead to go with the $1,300 wing leveler system described here. I seldom follow the path of logic, and I will put in the Autocontol. I would like the address and perhaps phone number of internet address of the Loch Haven company that has worked on the Autocontrol system. George

rtacton Guest

George,

I would be interested in buying one of your AutoControl systems. How much are you asking?
    Ron Acton

12944 Guest

I would tend to agree with Homer, I have flown many 172's with auto pilots, just help the auto pilot out a little by feeding in some rudder your self and it will be just fine.

I would be interested in a wing leveler for my pa-20,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    Hi Ron;
    I did in 2004 - still working flawlessly : wing leveler and heading bug

Do you still have the instruction manual. I think I have one of these autopilots, but I'm not sure I can figure it out without a manual.