WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Oil Preference

joewcasey Guest

Default Oil Preference

Just out of curiosity, who is using what type of oil in their engines? Is there more preference toward multi-grade, single grade, Philipps or Aeroshell?

I have used Aeroshell 15w-50 exclusively in all my aircraft and have been quite satisfied.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

Glen Geller Guest

If you use an oil that does not contain the Lycoming Anti-scuffing agent (LW-16702), you should add that to the engine oil as well.
    Available from the usual aircraft supply outlets, here's an example with recommended intervals:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...iladditive.php
    Here in Oregon I use Aeroshell W100, it has the additive in it already.

joewcasey Guest

Is that the additive that I believe is required per AD on the O320H2AD?

Student Pilot Guest

I used to use Mobil 100 but they don't make it anymore. I've tried Shell 100 but it gets too thin in the summer. I use Exxon 100 now, multi grades seem too thin in the hotter weather.

Stephen 998 Guest

I've used AeroShell multigrade for years. But, this year I put new ECI cylinders on my engine and they recommended Phillips 20-50. It turns out that Phillips oil in our area is more than 30% cheaper than AeroShell multigrade. Multigrade oils are the standard in automoblie engines for a number of good reasons. I don't really understand why so many people stick to straight weight oils in their aircraft engines.

Aeroshell 15w-50 is 50% synthetic and contains the Lyc anti-wear additive required by the AD on the H engine.

Phillips 20w-50 is pure petroleum based with no lyc anti-wear additive hence the cheaper price. I use the Phillips as it is less prone to weap. AeroShell lubrication engineers will tell you the synthetic oils tend to shrink seals and my leak more then 100% petroleum based oils such as Phillips and Aero Shell straight wt oil such as 100W and 100W-Plus which does contain the antiwear additive.

I learned all of this at a Sun'N Fun seminar put on by an Aero Shell lubrication engineer.

joewcasey Guest

This has turned out to be pretty interesting. I've always been a 20w-50 user, but after learning the trends of this engine, I've decided to give aeroshell 100 a try during the summer months. I'm interested to see how the oil consumption compares with the Phillips. It seemed that Phillips was a bit thin for summer flying, considering I'd see the blowby pick up some when the ambient temp went up. I know it's normal for the oil to thin as the temp goes up, so I'd like to see what the 100 does.

This is a good time to re-discuss the attributes of AVBLEND. Several months ago I had a very good discussion with one of their engineers who explained the property of AVBLEND which allows it to penentrate metal deeper and stay within the molecular structure when cold and expell out when the engine heats up as it operates. This eliminates dry bearings on startup. I used AVBLEND on my last two oil changes so the proof remains to be seen, but there was very sound defense of the properties of the product, I really felt it deserved a try. The gentleman I talked with also said that with AVBLEND in use they tell a person with a new overhaul to go directly to an AD oil and don't bother with the period of straight mineral oil. I had already been using mineral oil for about 15 hours after a top overhaul, so I went ahead and did the first oil change and put the AD oil in with AVBLEND. Time will tell.

I use aeroshell 15W50 -- & change the oil every 25 hrs

d.grimm Guest

I agree with Gilbert. Aeroshell with the additive makes a lot of engines leak oil.
    I've repaired (HA HA) quite a few engines with leaks by changing brands of oil.
    Not sure why, however the Continentals seem more prone to leak.

The additives that may make for more leaks may also allow better penetration into tight spaces in the engine. If you really want to see something leak oil I'll send you photo's of my 1977 MG Midget. Very fun to drive, bu it is typical 1970's British workmanship. The Brits must have felt it was cheaper to add oil to engines than to improve manufacturing quality. That may well explain the demise of MG, BSA, Norton, etc.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

The Brits drink their beer warm because they kept it in a refrigerator made by Lucas.
    Imagine my surprise when the Engine Company I worked for bought an automated machining line and the autmation was built by Lucas.

Does the machine line leak large amounts of lubricant? How about the manufactured parts? Warm beer may be better than no beer at all, but it can't be by much.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

Another option is a fairly new product "Camguard". It has the best corrosion resistance in a Consumer Aviation test and qualifies as the additive for Lyc's. I started using it in my IO 550 and an using it in my 0290 D also now. A half pint treats ten quarts of oil. You may want to google camguard and read about it, it is impressive.

Wayne Guest

HAHAHAHAHA Boy that's a laugh. The prince of darkness building an automated machining line. Does it use cams and gears and levers as the Greeks did thousands of years ago to automate their places of worship? If no, your in big trouble. The prince doesn't know what an electron is.

Ever look inside a Rolls Royce Merlin or Bristol Centaurus engines.

Try changing the clutch in a Triumph sports car. Half the parts you remove to get to the clutch are redundant or useless.

Just changed the clutch in the MG, which isn't quite as bad as you describe with the Triumph, but seems to need to be accomplished all to frequently. I seems like I have a driving to repair time ratio of 3 to 1.
    N3648M
    1947 PA-12
    Mike Koch
    Sioux Falls, SD

These are holy relics of the god Mowog

Could you imagine an MG helicopter?

GaryM Guest

Howdy fellas! I just had Titan nickel cylinders installed in my 0-320 150hp. I am running Phillips 20-50. Should I be adding some kind of super juice to the mix?

If it is cold where you live use Phillips 20/50w pure petroleum base. Use Aeroshell 100 50w in summer. Add Camguard. You will notice how much more filth the aero shell keeps in suspension as opposed to the synthetic. Synthetic oil is for automobiles, not real good for aircraft engines.

AeroShell 15W-50 is 50% synthetic. Phillips XC 20W-50 has no synthetic oil in it. The problem with synthetic oils is the won't hold the lead in suspension. It accumulates as a paste in places you don't want it. The CamGuard is a definite plus in this situation.
    Gilbert Pierce
    Ex Board Member