WANT TO JOIN THE SHORT WING PIPER CLUB?

Thread: Control column question

Question Control column question

I have an early PA-22 (1951) with a little play in the left side control wheel. The holes in the pully and shaft assembly where it joins the universal joint are elongated. The early plane uses control cable around a pully rather than the chain and sprocket of the later planes. What I'd like to do is obtain another pully and shaft assembly and do what ever repair is required, and then swap them out. This would keep my down time to a minimum. Looking at the pully and shaft and comparing the left and right sides they appear identical. The drawing in the CD-ROM lists a 12522-2 for both sides. HOWEVER I have a 1962 parts book that lists two different part numbers. 12522-02 and 12522-03. My question is are they indeed identical, or is there a left and right handed assembly. Should anyone be working on an early PA-22 or PA-20 I'd sure appreciate it if you could take a look.

I think it would be pretty simple to face the weld off in a lathe and make a new shaft.

Of course this all depends upon whether or not I can find another pully and shaft somewhere.

Thanks

Paul Anton
    N1431A

Why not ream the hole slightly?
    Bellancas use a tapered pin that tighten up more pull the pin in deeper.
    The proper choice might be to go to the next size larger bolt and drill/ream for proper fit.

I have a set and they are the same.

Wayne Guest

Most Assemblies put together in this manner are drilled and line reamed therefore are not interchangeable. They are assembled in pairs. The bolt holes won't line up if you swap the pieces around. You could try and see if you can swap sides but if they don't fit you will need to either drill and ream the holes oversize. This is the easiest way to fix it. As J.D. suggested, taper reaming and using an aircraft taper pin (they are threaded for a nut on the small end and use a special washer to draw the pin in tight) is probably the best fix. WAyne

The taper pin repair would be quick and easy. The universal joint is attached with 2 AN3 bolts @ 90 degrees to each other. I don't have the measurements of the joint or the shafts at hand. However it looks like an AN386-1 would work nicely. However the fly in the ointment for me would be when I make out the 337 and submit it. I would need some approved or acceptable data for replacing the AN3 bolt with a taper pin. I can see my PMI wanting to get a DER in the game. Now if one of you chaps out there had an approved 337 for replacing the bolts with a taper pin I'd be in hog heaven.

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A

I'm glad you thought to bring up the subject about the Feds and a field approval. I think a phone call to the PMI would be in order and feel him out about doing a replacement with "standard" fasteners and see what he wants. Might work out ok. I did some special cowl fasteners that were used on a commercial ops vs the piper cowl fastener with that approach and the PMI told me since both parts were approved fasteners, to only make a log book entry (that will never happen again but, might try to see if the'd bite on a 337 using std parts)
    Andy Anderson
    PA-22/20-150

my tripacer is an "auto flight" it had an auto pilot from the factory and the right one was like 2 inches longer to allow room for the servo that goes on that shaft when you had auto pilot the control yoke shaft was 2 inches shorter so both sides would end up being the same amount sticking out in your chest im guessing thats why the 2 part numbers
    Last edited by jay heil; 06-23-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Glen Geller Guest

When using an aircraft taper pin, is there table showing a specific torque for the nut that could be quoted to Mr. FSDO, to show you won't tighten the nut so much it splits the shaft and spoils your day?

43.13 shows ways to fix an enlarged hole. One is to use a close tlerance bolt. I don't have it here but there is probably something in there and it is acceptable data.

I've been looking through 43-13 for a fix I could use. 4-60 a.(4) eliminates reaming, bushing, or welding up the old holes. The other elongation fixes I've found seem to pertain to struts. I think I'm going to hit my PMI up with his feeling on using a taper pin. If he says no, then I guess I'll look for a used part hopefully from the right side that won't have much wear. Making a new shaft would be pretty easy. I think the difficult part would be indexing it and keeping it indexed until it's welded up.

At this time it's just a minor annoyance that I don't even notice in flight. Just one of those things that bug me.

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A
    KPLU

Final chapter in this fiasco---I called my PMI and he said he'd go the field approval fir a taper pin, but I just needed to provide valid measurments with amount of material removed etc. So I took the joint apart to see just how elongated the hole in the pulley and shaft assembly were. Upon looking at it I didn't see any elongation at all. The play appeared to be tolerance buildup. I substuted an AN173-11A for the AN3 bolt and no more annoying play at the control wheel. I forgot all about KISS--keep it simple stupid.

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A
    KPLU

Wayne Guest

Don't forget that our planes were built and certified under CAM 18 not 43.13. There is some difference between the two. Much less detail in CAM 18. From a technical stand point sense the plane was designed and built under this standard it probably should be repaired under it as well. You can find this info by searching CAM 18 FAA.
    WAyne
    Last edited by Wayne; 07-01-2007 at 01:07 PM.